Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Trying to factory reset and perform a clean re-install of OS Sierra on late 2017 15" MacBook Pro 3.1ghz machine to resell to a friend, but not successful due to this error message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install" every single time for 4 hours of trying over and over again throughout the day / evening. Apple Care's highest technicians don't even know what is going on and suggest taking it into the Genius at the Store. The error message happens as soon as it looks like it's all done right at the end. The Apple Care tech support said it's software and sometimes you just have to be more persistent. 4+ hours is pretty dedicated to a lost cause.

Ok so I'm responding to everyone through the original post with step by step of what I have done:

1) Backed up everything
2) Shutdown MBP & plugged the beast in
3) SHIFT COMMAND R & power button
4) Disk Utilities to erase Machintosh HD with format APFS (with success)
5) Reinstall OS High Sierra (after 24 minutes an error message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install."

Back to Disk Utilitites to erase Machintosh HD with format APFS (with success)
Shutdown MBP

1) Command R & power
2) Online reinstall initiated with rotating globe in the center of the screen replacing the Apple logo
3) Back to Disk Utilities to erase Machintosh HD with format APFS (with success)
4) Reinstall OS Sierra (after 24 minutes "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.)

*Repeat everything 5 more times.

(I do not own external HD nor any other thumb drives, once you get to this point you can't create a thumb drive bootable volume because I tried the initial stages of getting the (TERMINAL) codes for that process off the Apple Support site and upon running the script, it too failed).

Hope I can come back here with a positive update.

Love you all.

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Couple of questions come to mind, so a little more information might be helpful...

Are you trying to install from recovery or a USB?
How did you wipe the drive?

In other words take us through the steps you took for the reset and clean install

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I suggest these steps, in proper order:

1. Create a BOOTABLE USB flash drive installer (use either an 8gb or 16gb flash drive)
2. You can make this easy by using the free little app, "Boot Buddy" from here:
https://sqwarq.com/boot-buddy/
3. Boot from the flash drive but DO NOT run the installer yet
4. Open Disk Utility and ERASE the internal drive. Choose "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled"
5. Quit DU and re-open the installer
6. Try the installer now.
7. If you get a good install (it will take a few reboots and some time), you'll then see the "setup intro".
8. DO NOT run the setup.
9. Do the 2017's have a power button? If so, press and hold it until the MBPro shuts off.
10. Hand it to your friend.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Please refer to original post for further detailed clarity on my issue. Asked my friend to book an appointment with the Genius to get it all sorted out. As Apple Care suggested, it is simply a software issue not hardware.

Thanks everyone who has responded much love !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.