Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman2525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Just bought a new MacBook Pro 13” 2017 model and I’m wondering how much space is between the keys. I am purchasing AppleCare next week with a work discount but when I opened my water bottle 2-3 drops of water from the cap got on the keys themselves, I don’t think any got on the body of the MacBook or inside the keys. I wiped them off right away with my sleeve and continued using it and have had no issues but I get anxious about this stuff. It wasnt much at all anyways, and I even blew on the keys later and nothing happened. The drops landed on the return key and shift key. Shouldn’t have anything to worry about right? Thanks

Queen6

macrumors G4
Correct you shouldn't have to worry about it, sadly this is Apple. Others manufacturers are capable of designing and providing thin & light notebooks that have liquid resistant keyboards. If any of the liquid sensors are triggered Apple will void the warranty by default...

Q-6

macman2525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Correct you shouldn't have to worry about it, sadly this is Apple. Others manufacturers are capable of designing and providing thin & light notebooks that have liquid resistant keyboards. If any of the liquid sensors are triggered Apple will void the warranty by default...

Q-6
Where are those triggers? And is there any way to know if any part of the water drop got in? Thankfully I’ll be buying AppleCare this week and it really doesn’t seem like any got in the crack by the key but I worry a lot, this is making me too anxious lol.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Not without explicit knowledge, sensors will change colour on contact with liquid. If the sensors are triggered AppleCare will be voided.

Good chance that there is no problem, equally if this is such a pressure point, you will likely be better to have full coverage for both premature failure and accidental damage.

Q-6

macman2525

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Sorry, I should say I’ll be getting AppleCare +. I’m sure it’s fine now and nothing happened. Seems like the gaps between the housing and keys are VERY small. I just need to figure out how to get my work discount for AppleCare + :)

Not without explicit knowledge, sensors will change colour on contact with liquid. If the sensors are triggered AppleCare will be voided.

Good chance that there is no problem, equally if this is such a pressure point, you will likely be better to have full coverage for both premature failure and accidental damage.

Q-6
e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.