Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schneggers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Germany, Hessen
Hi guys!

I'm thinking about buying an old MacPro 4,1 and upgrading the cpu afterwards. I looked on eBay for the x5690 and saw many cheap ones with shipping from china.
Are they probably fake models or could they be a good deal because of their age?
Here're some examples and my search (all Ebay.de):
My search
Example 1
Example 2

Thank you all!
Greetings from Germany

P.S. May have overlooked a similar thread. In case a link to that one is completely necessary of course!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I bought a couple of dozen Meroms to upgrade our Dell Dothan laptops - and they came from China.
(We had a bunch of Dell laptops with 32-bit Dothan (Core) CPUs, and upgraded them to 64-bit Merom (Core 2) processors.)

If the seller has a good ranking - don't worry about the country.

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Just curious why you consider people from China less honest? BTW I'm not Chinese.
Anyone visiting the Silk Market in Beijing would see first hand that they counterfeit EVERYTHING. Including electronics and electronic components.

Having said this, if the seller is reputable then the risk is low. But culturally many Chinese don’t feel bad ripping off westerners.

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
Just curious why you consider people from China less honest? BTW I'm not Chinese.

I have a history in engineering working for companies that deal with Chinese manufacturing. They will try and get away with anything. You basically have to baby sit the factory in person if you have something made there.

I know a guy who worked for a company that had an injection mould tool made over there, while making it they made an exact copy and produced parts themselves, that was also while someone from the company had been going over there and checking progress. They only found out when the tool arrived and it wasn't the same one they had watched being made in china.

The Chinese can make great stuff and have the skills to do it. But the reality is that if nobody is watching they will try anything.

The stupid thing is its cheaper to have an injection mould tool made in china and have to practically redo everything to fix it and make it right when it arrives then it is to just make it here in the first place.

Reactions: MarkJames68

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
BS.

Good luck trying to make a "Fake" Westmere. Impossible.

As long as it's used, there's a extremely high chance that it's the real deal.

I have never seen a fake processor before. I'd love to see one, though.

Reactions: Schneggers

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
BS.

Given the age I wouldn’t sweat it.

But...it’s not a big deal to relabel the processor, making a single or dual core look like a quad.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I'm sitting with a set of eight Denso counterfeit spark plug in my garage right now. Shipped from a seller in China - Welljob. Seller had good ratings. I'll never buy from eBay or a Chinese seller again.

Lou

Reactions: MarkJames68

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Given the age I wouldn’t sweat it.

But...it’s not a big deal to relabel the processor, making a single or dual core look like a quad.
[doublepost=1511749614][/doublepost]Even the Chinese can not make a fake x5690...
Yes. Not that hard to change the ink on the casing - but really hard to change the CPUID that the chip reports.

Reactions: h9826790

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
just buy on ebay, use paypal and check with MacCPUID or CPU-X in osx, i got my ram from china on ebay (x server ram) had no problems.
Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 8.24.23 am.png

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
BS.

+1 The cost of a processor fab runs into the billions.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
But these tools only give you the details when the deal is already done and the CPUs are in your system, no?

So? You can have any method to determine the CPU is a genuine one from any non China seller before you actually get the CPU? (Of course, I mean buying low cost used item on the web, but not buying from Intel etc).

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
there old cpu's pulled from servers, there's piles of them mountains even.
ebays buyer protection seems good and iv never had a problem with my used cpu or used ram from ebay.

Reactions: owbp

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
China, just like the US, will have good sellers and bad sellers. Buy from an established seller with lengthy history and good feedback.

Reactions: h9826790

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
^^^^Again, my seller of the counterfeit plugs had both:eek:

Well yes it's not perfect. Just this week I was "kind of scammed" from someone with 100% feedback.

But to be fair there are a lot of red flags in your guy's feedback history. I hope you got restitution from Ebay or PayPal.

EDIT: What have you done to me, Lou? Now everything I'm looking at is listed in Philippino Pesos, LOL!

Reactions: orph
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.