Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Hi everyone , I'm having a MacBook pro late 2011 updated to 10.13.6 (high Sierra ).While using some applications such as google chrome or Logic pro x or even vlc player ,it becomes so much laggy and unworkable ,and when I opened activity monitor to see what is going on I noticed cpu Overload mostly by kernel_task . Then i decided to run geekbench to see the scores . Here are the results :

Single-Core Score:
Multi-Core Score:

single score average for this model is :591
multicore score average for this model is :1275

Multi-Core Performance​

Multi-Core Score520
Crypto Score940
Integer Score487
Floating Point Score522

Here are my device specifications :
Operating SystemmacOS 10.13.6 (Build 17G66)
ModelMacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)
Model IDMacBookPro8,1

Processor Information
NameIntel Core i7-2640M
Topology1 Processor, 2 Cores, 4 Threads
IdentifierGenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Base Frequency2.80 GHz

Memory Information
Size8.00 GB
TypeDDR3
Clock Frequency800 MHz

would you please suggest any solutions for this situation?? Is it a software or hardware problem?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone , I'm having a MacBook pro late 2011 updated to 10.13.6 (high Sierra ).While using some applications such as google chrome or Logic pro x or even vlc player ,it becomes so much laggy and unworkable ,and when I opened activity monitor to see what is going on I noticed cpu Overload mostly by kernel_task . Then i decided to run geekbench to see the scores . Here are the results :

Single-Core Score:
Multi-Core Score:

single score average for this model is :591
multicore score average for this model is :1275

Here are my device specifications :
Operating SystemmacOS 10.13.6 (Build 17G66)
ModelMacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)
Model IDMacBookPro8,1
Processor Information
NameIntel Core i7-2640M
Topology1 Processor, 2 Cores, 4 Threads
IdentifierGenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Base Frequency2.80 GHz
Memory Information
Size8.00 GB
TypeDDR3
Clock Frequency800 MHz

would you please suggest any solutions for this situation?? Is it a software or hardware problem?
edit: Does the computer's battery work? High kernel_task usage is indicative of the computer being slowed down by the operating system, often to keep the computer cool or to reduce processor speed such as you'd see if the computer had no battery.

Reactions: ali_alpha

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Check the CPU temperatures. If the CPU overheats and throttles, kernel_task starts hogging the cores. Also check the fan speed - is it running at maximum when this happens?

800MHz is what you see when the computer has no battery, or a nonfunctional battery.
That's the memory speed, not the CPU speed.

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
edit: Does the computer's battery work? High kernel_task usage is indicative of the computer being slowed down by the operating system, often to keep the computer cool or to reduce processor speed such as you'd see if the computer had no battery.
yes the battery works fine, although its condition is ''replace soon'' . but even when I'm running on power adapter i have the same issue .

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Check the CPU temperatures. If the CPU overheats and throttles, kernel_task starts hogging the cores. Also check the fan speed - is it running at maximum when this happens?

I have checked the temperature frequently its always between 78-81 degrees ,fan speed is not at maximum i guess .

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
yes the battery works fine, although its condition is ''replace soon'' . but even when I'm running on power adapter i have the same issue .
It's probably not the battery if the computer doesn't shut down immediately when it's off external power. I have seen these problems also happen if the computer has had liquid damage. You could try resetting the SMC and NVRAM and running the built in diagnostics. I can't remember if these directions also apply to Macs as old as yours, but give it a try: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Can you run Geekbench again and check the temps while it's running?
yes sure I'll do that . One thing I noticed when you mentioned the fan , I downloaded macs fan control app to see the fan speed , I found out that the fan isn't running at all , I tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM , but still its not running , so can we conclude that this might be the reason of the whole thing going on on this mac's cpu and becoming so much laggy at times?

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
It's probably not the battery if the computer doesn't shut down immediately when it's off external power. I have seen these problems also happen if the computer has had liquid damage. You could try resetting the SMC and NVRAM and running the built in diagnostics. I can't remember if these directions also apply to Macs as old as yours, but give it a try: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
I tried them all ,except the built in diagnosis which doesn't show up . when i hold ''D''before booting ,a page comes up searching for network connection (WIFI) ,and when I choose my wifi and enter the password, it just stops there and nothing comes up.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
found out that the fan isn't running at all , I tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM , but still its not running , so can we conclude that this might be the reason of the whole thing going on on this mac's cpu and becoming so much laggy at times?
If the fan isn't running at all (on my 2011 MBP it's always running - at 2000 rpm mostly, or higher when I'm really pushing it) it's either clogged up with dirt and dust or defective. And yes, it will overheat without the fan.

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
If the fan isn't running at all (on my 2011 MBP it's always running - at 2000 rpm mostly, or higher when I'm really pushing it) it's either clogged up with dirt and dust or defective. And yes, it will overheat without the fan.
then the overheating will cause the cpu overload by kernel_task and therefore the lagging ,right?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What kind of drive is in it?
Platter based, or SSD?

If it still has the original platter-based drive, replace that with an SSD.
Cheap and easy to do -- ANYONE can do this by themself.
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
Be sure to use the right tools.

ali_alpha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2021

Just wanted to say thanks again, it was solved, the issue was the fan not running due to dust stuck in it. i got it cleaned and fan is running and everything is back to normal now:) 🙌 🙌🙌

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.