Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Hello there!

I am pretty new to this environment and decided to put my small question down here.
The question i have being: Is it normal for this macbook pro to have so much CPU used while watching a twitch stream? I have attacheda screenshot with probably the needed information.

If so do any of you have a workaround because my laptop basicly keeps overheating.
If you have any question feel free to ask me.

Thank you all in advance,

MrAppl3

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 3.39.02 AM.png

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Chrome and/or adobe flash are probably the issue here.

If so do any of you have a workaround because my laptop basicly keeps overheating.

If your computer isn't crashing or locking up, it isn't overheating.

Last edited:

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Chrome and/or adobe flash are probably the issue here.

If your computer isn't crashing or locking up, it isn't overheating.

Yea i have heard a lot of comparable stuff about chrome but my pc crashes/shutsoff with a black screen that says: "an error has occurred" and restarts after 2 to 3 seconds.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yea i have heard a lot of comparable stuff about chrome but my pc crashes/shutsoff with a black screen that says: "an error has occurred" and restarts after 2 to 3 seconds.

More information about your Mac would be good. What model is it? Specs? Any hardware upgrades?

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
More information about your Mac would be good. What model is it? Specs? Any hardware upgrades?

Specs:
Retina 13 inch early 2015
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I have no hardware upgrades I had however a previous issue where my SSD card was "broken" and had to be fixed by apple, this has probably nothing to do with this topic but ill put it down just to be sure.
Is there anymore information you need? I would gladly get it if necessary.

MrAppl3

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
You've got the same computer as mine, save for the SSD.

I haven't had a single kernel panic on my Mac, so I'm guessing you've got some sort of hardware issue.

Have you tried running Apple Diagnostics?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
Ok i've tried it but by some reason using the shortcut D or Option-D gives the same result as Option-r which is internet recovery. I know this should not be the case and i cannot explain, is there a way to start the hardware diagnostics from a laptop that is already running?
[doublepost=1452577504][/doublepost]
You've got the same computer as mine, save for the SSD.

I haven't had a single kernel panic on my Mac, so I'm guessing you've got some sort of hardware issue.

Have you tried running Apple Diagnostics?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
Oh nevermind, it just shows that before the other screens pop-up. the result was that there were no errors found.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i think you're making a leap to something that isn't there.

The OP stated high CPU utilization, not KPs (unless I missed it). I think its more likely that Chrome and/or flash are the culprit then a hardware failure causing the CPU to be running at near 100% when ever he runs Chrome.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Uninstall whatever google chrome helper is and your CPU usage will be fine, in fact uninstall chrome it is so badly coded for OSX that it is a resource and battery hog that is unparralelled by anything other than intense gaming.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is a kernel panic, isn't it?
100% CPU is not a kernel panic and its not indicative of a hardware failure. A KP crashes the computer freezing it, making the user force shut down the computer. You see this when you get a KP:
osx kernel panic - Google Search.png

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
100% CPU is not a kernel panic and its not indicative of a hardware failure. A KP crashes the computer freezing it, making the user force shut down the computer. You see this when you get a KP:
View attachment 610073

I understand that high CPU utilization is not a kernel panic. Most likely this is simply Chrome and Flash, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

Did you read what I quoted? Here, the OP posted this:

my pc crashes/shutsoff with a black screen that says: "an error has occurred" and restarts after 2 to 3 seconds.

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Ok, so you are incurring a KP, then my initial assessment and argument is wrong and T5BRICK has a point about it being possibly a hardware issue
I did a Hardware diagnostics and nothing came out, is there any other way to check this?

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Since it is a early 2015, how about using your Apple warranty to make a Apple appointment for diagnostics so the hardware can be checked.
that is some good advice, the thing is does this KP have a connection to the CPU usage and overheating? or am i wrong calling it overheating while it is having a KP?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
that is some good advice, the thing is does this KP have a connection to the CPU usage and overheating? or am i wrong calling it overheating while it is having a KP?
Hardware very well could cause those symptoms. Have the Apple technicians test it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can run some utility that will show your temp sensors, which can help you decide if it really is running too hot.
That same sort of utillity will also tell you how fast the fan is spinning. If the temperature goes up to more than 70 C. and the fan does not also turn faster, then you may have a problem with temp sensors, or the fan may be faulty.

Either one, use your warranty, and get it checked out.

You may find out that the temps really don't go too high, without the fan doing its job, too.
Then, you should pay more attention to the software that you use. You may want to try some of your sites without Chrome, and use a browser that is less power hungry, such as Safari.

MrAppl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
You can run some utility that will show your temp sensors, which can help you decide if it really is running too hot.
That same sort of utillity will also tell you how fast the fan is spinning. If the temperature goes up to more than 70 C. and the fan does not also turn faster, then you may have a problem with temp sensors, or the fan may be faulty.

Either one, use your warranty, and get it checked out.

You may find out that the temps really don't go too high, without the fan doing its job, too.
Then, you should pay more attention to the software that you use. You may want to try some of your sites without Chrome, and use a browser that is less power hungry, such as Safari.
After watching a Twitch stream for 3 minutes i have gotten there results. I have not that much knowledge about these kind of things :S
upload_2016-1-13_1-55-26.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Safari is enough improvement in CPU temp to let you know that Chrome continues to be a resource hog.
You are on the high edge of CPU use, so you might also consider not doing other tasks - no other apps open when you view your twitch TV stuff. (quit Steam (?) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.