Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
Hi
If anyone has a canon camera that records images in .CR2 RAW format would it be possible for someone to put one on a filesharing site or something?
I am considering a Canon 500D and it records in this format so i would like to test out if all the programs on my comp are compatible with this format.
Thanks

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hi
If anyone has a canon camera that records images in .CR2 RAW format would it be possible for someone to put one on a filesharing site or something?
I am considering a Canon 500D and it records in this format so i would like to test out if all the programs on my comp are compatible with this format.
Thanks

That wont work. Even though the extension may be .cr2 for two cameras (my 1dmkII records .cr2 files), the compatibility of the program with a given RAW file is determined by other factors. The program has to be able to decode a given RAW from a given camera.

You'd need someone who has a 500D.

If it's really a problem, you could convert to .DNG format until your program of interest is updated to support the native RAW files from the 500D. A bit of a workaround, but it will work.

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
Ok. I use Adobe Bridge to import photos and Photoshop/Lightroom for editing. I assume though because they are Adobe it will be compatible.

RodoLana

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Moons of the 7th planet
The easiest thing to do is to check Adobe's site to see if your version of ACR supports RAW files from your specific camera. If it doesn't, you could use DNG converter as was previously stated or use Canon's DPP to make RAW conversions and then import into Lightroom and/or Photoshop.

RL

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ok. I use Adobe Bridge to import photos and Photoshop/Lightroom for editing. I assume though because they are Adobe it will be compatible.

It will be compatible as soon as the new RAW update is released. It always takes a while (sometimes a couple of months) after a new camera is released for its RAW files to get support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.