Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lsutgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi all.

I've already cracked the screen on my X after only 2 weeks!!!!! My fault as I decided to go with a super minimalist case and I dropped it from about 3 feet on asphalt.

I have Applecare+ but I was wondering if they were doing screen replacements in store yet or do they have to swap it out for a new one. The crack isn't that bad so I'm not in a big rush. If they are replacing the phone I'll go ahead and make a genius appointment (assuming they have a replacement in stock). If not I'll probably wait a month or so and let them practice on other people's phones first.

Anyone know???

Thanks.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I’d just use the app and ask for an express replacement shipped out. You pay up front but they refund once they receive the broken phone back. Meanwhile you’ve got th replacement like 2 days later
[doublepost=1511361376][/doublepost]Otherwise. They’ll just order th replacement to the store

Reactions: kkay2000

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
When I did the same back on the 17th, I was the first smashed X that my Apple store had seen. They wanted to do the glass replacement (tech in the back was itching to do one), but they didn't have the parts at that point in time. As you only get 2 AC+ incidents (whether it's a screen or a full replacement) and the space grey ring was nicked in 3 spots, I opted for the full device replacement.

From what others have written, it seems that the stores usually have 3 of each SKU available for warranty replacements, so they should be able to fix you up on the spot.

They may have parts by now...should be worth a call to check.

Lsutgr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Baton Rouge, LA
When I did the same back on the 17th, I was the first smashed X that my Apple store had seen. They wanted to do the glass replacement (tech in the back was itching to do one), but they didn't have the parts at that point in time. As you only get 2 AC+ incidents (whether it's a screen or a full replacement) and the space grey ring was nicked in 3 spots, I opted for the full device replacement.

From what others have written, it seems that the stores usually have 3 of each SKU available for warranty replacements, so they should be able to fix you up on the spot.

They may have parts by now...should be worth a call to check.

Thanks all. I think i'll try to get a replacement phone as I hear that once the phone is opened it compromises the water seals. I've learned my lesson....protective case ordered.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hi all.

I've already cracked the screen on my X after only 2 weeks!!!!! My fault as I decided to go with a super minimalist case and I dropped it from about 3 feet on asphalt.

I have Applecare+ but I was wondering if they were doing screen replacements in store yet or do they have to swap it out for a new one. The crack isn't that bad so I'm not in a big rush. If they are replacing the phone I'll go ahead and make a genius appointment (assuming they have a replacement in stock). If not I'll probably wait a month or so and let them practice on other people's phones first.

Do you have 90day CC coverage? Don't wait too long if so.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
@Lsutgr, @canuckRus's post did remind me - if you have the initial 90 day theft/loss/accidental protection on your credit card, they should pay your AC+ fee (or, rather, pay it back to you). My CC did - as when you read the T's & C's, it acts as a supplemental insurance policy (and AC+ is an insurance policy.....and extended manufacturer's warranty).

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Me seeing all these people breaking there X makes me think should I got insurance on mine. I haven’t even got the phone yet but it will be in a decent case.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Heh....I posted 3 when I wrecked mine - here ya go - #1
I saw that!

I still choose not to purchase AC since in my history of owning phones containing glass I've only ever busted one. I'm extremely careful with my devices. I've established routines to prevent accidents in those situation where they're more common. As an example, I used to have issues with dropping phones when getting out of my car so now my phone goes directly into the cupholder every time I get into the car and into my pocket before getting out. It's become so routine that it's developed into a habit, like buckling my seatbelt; I don't even think about it anymore.

I also don't use my phone while I'm walking which sounds pretty ridiculous when you say it but it's astounding how unaware of their environment people can be. For the unavoidable accidents, I have my X in a midnight blue Apple leather case, which I have to say is dead sexy.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I saw that!

I still choose not to purchase AC since in my history of owning phones containing glass I've only ever busted one. I'm extremely careful with my devices. I've established routines to prevent accidents in those situation where they're more common. As an example, I used to have issues with dropping phones when getting out of my car so now my phone goes directly into the cupholder every time I get into the car and into my pocket before getting out. It's become so routine that it's developed into a habit, like buckling my seatbelt; I don't even think about it anymore.

I also don't use my phone while I'm walking which sounds pretty ridiculous when you say it but it's astounding how unaware of their environment people can be. For the unavoidable accidents, I have my X in a midnight blue Apple leather case, which I have to say is dead sexy.
Heh. I hear you....this is the first phone I've ever smashed. Never put it in shirt pockets as I know how easy it is to lose, but that day I had done so absentmindedly. Heh. Life is what happens when you're making plans. ;)

I'll have to take a look at that midnight blue case...quite enjoying the band for my SBSS watch. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They should be able to replace the screen now. If not just get a replacement phone.

Most stores should have the adequate parts to replace it in store, otherwise, if the OP is fortunate, they might just be issued a new iPhone or a replacement device.

Reactions: pat500000

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Heh. I hear you....this is the first phone I've ever smashed. Never put it in shirt pockets as I know how easy it is to lose, but that day I had done so absentmindedly. Heh. Life is what happens when you're making plans. ;)

I'll have to take a look at that midnight blue case...quite enjoying the band for my SBSS watch. :)
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

I started out with the Product RED leather but this is so much more subtle. I also prefer how this color ages. It's more of a darkening vs. just looking dirty like the RED.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
View attachment 737636 View attachment 737637

I started out with the Product RED leather but this is so much more subtle. I also prefer how this color ages. It's more of a darkening vs. just looking dirty like the RED.

That looks great! I have the Aubergine Apple leather case on my silver X which looks more like black unless it is in bright light. I've always used the Apple leather cases on my phones and they completely protected my phone on 2 occasions when I dropped them face down on concrete.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That looks great! I have the Aubergine Apple leather case on my silver X which looks more like black unless it is in bright light. I've always used the Apple leather cases on my phones and they completely protected my phone on 2 occasions when I dropped them face down on concrete.
I was very close to getting that one instead. Not sure if my monitor is way out of calibration but the case looks much darker in person than what's showing in that picture. I also had to use my work issued 6s to take it so that may have affected it as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.