Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiboKralle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Hey,

my rMBP 13 creaked when holding it with one hand (don't tell me I shouldn't!) or when pushing down next to the trackpad.
Now I know theres this guide out there to put oil in there and I asked around at my University about what to use to reduce Aluminum on Aluminum friction. I took of the bottom plate (Pentalobe screwdrivers from Amazon for a couple Bucks) and carefully put WD40 everywhere where the bottom plate touches the frame. Also into the screwholes before I reasslebled the beauty.
Result: a little better I guess.. but definately not solved.

So then I was able to figure out where exactly I had to push on the bottom plate so that the creaking noise would appear. Turned out it was right after I clicked it into those two plasic clamps connecting to the plastic nipples in the middle of the bottom plate.
So I removed those two clips (just 2 small Philipps screws each and definately a reversible procedure anyways) and whoop-de-doo! Creaking is ALL gone!

Although I have to admit that I tweaked a little more before:
I put black sticky isolation tape, which is very soft and very thick for tape onto all the edges of the bottom plate, especially in those spots where the plate has those plastic inlays because I noticed some leftovers there that looked like they were created by the plate rubbing on the case.
This tape works as sort of soft buffer in my case. Thing is: after putting tape everywhere carefully for almost an hour it still creaked... But that's where I figured out the plastic clamp thing!

Also an interesting point:
The non-retina MBP did NON creak and does NOT have those clamps!

Now you might be saying: they are there for a reason...
Yeah.. probably.. but the non retina was also solid like a brick without them and I can definately tell you that your rMBP WON'T have a belly at the bottom without them or something. Also there is no change in the gap between plate and frame visible from the outside due to the tape (if you're thinking about adding that part of my solution, too!). It does also not feel any less "well build" or whatever! And I'm a VERY finicky guy especially with my Apple stuff!

So yeah..
Let me know if you tried and if it worked for you!
I am super happy that I finally fixed this problem! Especially without having to deal with nasty lube and without doing anything that wouldn't be reversible!

Greetings from Germany,
Patrick

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
I thought the function of those pins was as ground. This is a crappy answer, but I don't think Apple would have bothered engineering them in there if they didn't serve a decently important function.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Hey,

my rMBP 13 creaked when holding it with one hand (don't tell me I shouldn't!) or when pushing down next to the trackpad.
Now I know theres this guide out there to put oil in there and I asked around at my University about what to use to reduce Aluminum on Aluminum friction. I took of the bottom plate (Pentalobe screwdrivers from Amazon for a couple Bucks) and carefully put WD40 everywhere where the bottom plate touches the frame. Also into the screwholes before I reasslebled the beauty.
Result: a little better I guess.. but definately not solved.

So then I was able to figure out where exactly I had to push on the bottom plate so that the creaking noise would appear. Turned out it was right after I clicked it into those two plasic clamps connecting to the plastic nipples in the middle of the bottom plate.
So I removed those two clips (just 2 small Philipps screws each and definately a reversible procedure anyways) and whoop-de-doo! Creaking is ALL gone!

Although I have to admit that I tweaked a little more before:
I put black sticky isolation tape, which is very soft and very thick for tape onto all the edges of the bottom plate, especially in those spots where the plate has those plastic inlays because I noticed some leftovers there that looked like they were created by the plate rubbing on the case.
This tape works as sort of soft buffer in my case. Thing is: after putting tape everywhere carefully for almost an hour it still creaked... But that's where I figured out the plastic clamp thing!

Also an interesting point:
The non-retina MBP did NON creak and does NOT have those clamps!

Now you might be saying: they are there for a reason...
Yeah.. probably.. but the non retina was also solid like a brick without them and I can definately tell you that your rMBP WON'T have a belly at the bottom without them or something. Also there is no change in the gap between plate and frame visible from the outside due to the tape (if you're thinking about adding that part of my solution, too!). It does also not feel any less "well build" or whatever! And I'm a VERY finicky guy especially with my Apple stuff!

So yeah..
Let me know if you tried and if it worked for you!
I am super happy that I finally fixed this problem! Especially without having to deal with nasty lube and without doing anything that wouldn't be reversible!

Greetings from Germany,
Patrick

Is it possible to tighten those screws so those plastic things are more tight in there?

I can remove them but I feel like that might harm my computer.

I don't know their purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.