Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hello everyone,
Well recently I tried using iMovie to create a ken burns slideshow, I added photos and music into it and use the share -> media browser function.
Later I open iDVD, do all the menu stuffs and I drag the movie from the media browser onto iDVD.

Problem is, when I preview it, everything works fine and very smoothly but when I burn it, the video is TERRIBLE choppy, everything is choppy, even the menu is choppy which makes me go WTF.

Anyone care to help me?

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
I've made a couple slide show videos the same way you are right now. Since you have the Ken Burns, I'm assuming you are using the newest version.
I haven't had too much of a problem when I use good quality photo's. In the older versions it seemed to drop the quality quite a bit more than version 8.0.3 does.

Are you directly sharing the video to iDVD (via menu bar and "Share" in iMovie) or are you exporting it and dragging it over manually?

When using iDVD make sure to go to Preferences<Projects<Encoding and try some different options.

Another thing you could do is use DVD Studio Pro. It's not as easy to use though, IMO.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Are you directly sharing the video to iDVD (via menu bar and "Share" in iMovie) or are you exporting it and dragging it over manually?
Yes, I drag it manually into iDVD from the media browser

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I have an older version (the prior version 6.0.3 which I think is superior to the newer version).

All I do is select share>iDVD

it sends the movie to iDVD and the rest is simple, I've never had a problem. I've also just simply imported the movie by launching iDVD on it's own and it's there under the media tab.

Hopefully that helps.

SLC

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, the reason why I did this because I had 2 sessions, one is for morning slideshow and another is for night slideshow.

Try using the "Share" option I mentioned. It's a little easier.
Thanks, did it.

But do you guys (and gals) get choppy animations after burning it on DVD?

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Yeah, the reason why I did this because I had 2 sessions, one is for morning slideshow and another is for night slideshow.

Thanks, did it.

But do you guys (and gals) get choppy animations after burning it on DVD?

It used to be worse in the older versions of the program, but to answer your question, yes. It's not a stunning transition, but it doesn't look horrible either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.