Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snaganaga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
Mt. Pleasant, SC
I have multiple email addresses that I do not want to add to my contacts but I do want to make a distribution list. I tried making a group and dragging the email addresses into that group and it doesn't work.

Can anyone out there please help!?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
AFAIK you cannot do what you want with apple mail.

You didn't give any context, but my guess is you have a group of people in possibly an organization who you want to send messages to periodically. If this is the case, you might give google groups a shot.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
A hack, could be confusing: send an e-mail to your distribution list by entering each e-mail address. Mail should remember that list in the Previous Recipients window/list/DB. Next time, should provide that option when addressing.

Huge downside, if you have multiple "lists" and you have overlap re: who is on which list, could be a pain to distinguish correct list.

Reactions: Snaganaga

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You didn't say why you don't want to add those contacts to your own Contacts but I suspect you don't want to see them crowding your Contacts or showing up on all your devices.

I've got a similar situation and what I did was add them to a separate online account (syncing contacts only) which can be enabled/disabled as needed.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
...but I suspect you don't want to see them crowding your Contacts or showing up on all your devices.

Good idea re: separate account. But then again, can easily enable/disable viewing of Groups in Contacts, to lessen the clutter.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I have multiple email addresses that I do not want to add to my contacts but I do want to make a distribution list. I tried making a group and dragging the email addresses into that group and it doesn't work.

Can anyone out there please help!?
I ran across this workaround some time ago. Create a new message, populate the To: Cc: and Bcc: fields with your addresses, put a single character in the message body and Save As Stationary. Then, when you create a new message, show stationary and pick that one (it will be under Custom Stationaries).

Snaganaga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
Mt. Pleasant, SC
I ran across this workaround some time ago. Create a new message, populate the To: Cc: and Bcc: fields with your addresses, put a single character in the message body and Save As Stationary. Then, when you create a new message, show stationary and pick that one (it will be under Custom Stationaries).
Money! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.