Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In the latest versions of Photoshop are there any automated ways in creating reflections for objects or does one have to create a reflection manually?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
In the latest versions of Photoshop are there any automated ways in creating reflections for objects or does one have to create a reflection manually?

I haven’t used any newer versions. But I’d expect that any automated method would be difficult to get looking right.

I’ve always done reflections by duplication and then reversal. Basically if it’s right side up, then duplicate it and put the duplicate upside down. If you do it in layers, that’d be the easiest way.

Adjust the brightness factor and opaqueness of the reflection as appropriate. And possibly need to add a slight tilt or even distortion to the reflection (depending on what it is allegedly reflecting off of).

You’ll naturally want to be working with images with transparent backgrounds to accomplish this.

I’d expect the above techniques would produce a more realistic effect than an automated script.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’d expect the above techniques would produce a more realistic effect than an automated script.
Id expect that too, but im always amazed with new stuff that come up, so having that in mind you just never know what to expect. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.