Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
http://web.mac.com/taylortholen/iWeb/taylortholen.com/photography.html

here are a few pictures i would like to show you all. Let me know what you think. I am making the switch to digital as my only means.... the switch has been taking place for a while but i have just now started to take advantage of all that digitial has to offer..... photoshopping and such.

Please let me know if there are any tips or pointers you think could help me out.

Thanks!!!!

TT

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Please narrow it down to a couple of photos... it's very difficult to give you individual criticism on a whole portfolio of work.

Thanks!
-T

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
http://web.mac.com/taylortholen/iWeb/taylortholen.com/photography.html
here are a few pictures i would like to show you all. Let me know what you think.

The best advice I ever got from an English teacher applies to photography as well. He said I could make the most improvement with a red pencil. Cross out everything that does not contribute directly to the point I want to make. The idea was the best writing uses the fewest words to convey the most ideas. Readers don't like clutter.

Same with your web site. It's good but it needs some serious editing. I see many photos that are alike. Choose only thr best of each and even then display only the best of the best ones. Editing is not an easy skill to learn. I don't claim to be good at it.

Another way to think of it: Pretend like you are in school. Five outstanding photos earns you an "A" but the same Five photos mixed with five run of the mill snapshots earns you a "B". People do grade you be doing a kind of average. Move you GPA up a few points by just not letting viewers know about your "B" and "C" grade shots. They will think that ALL of your work is that good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.