Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
hallo all,
please critique my photos. I'm just learning about panning and night shoot.
What did I miss?
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1023.jpg
    DSC_1023.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_1369.jpg
    DSC_1369.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_1378.jpg
    DSC_1378.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_1417.jpg
    DSC_1417.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 99

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^I think that's a fair question to ask. I suspect the OP could answer his own question, "What did I miss?" with regard to the panning shots.

As for the apartment complex: you're really missing a clear focal point. The eye has no clear "home base" in the frame and is left to scan around restlessly seeking one. What is the subject of the photo? The scene really reads as all setting and no subject.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
first of all: what do you think about your photos? what do you like/dislike?

thanks for the questions. for the night shot of the houses, I like the feeling of the night, it's so serene. as for the panning shot I really like the first one because my subject ( the second motorcycle) is sharp. and the cars are not so sharp. what I would like to know what can I do to improve the shot

as for Phrasikleia. thanks for the input actually want I want to be a subject is the moon above the houses and the feeling of the night

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Just a comment of the night shot. Serenity is not what I get from this photo as a viewer. It seems busy to my eye. Like Madam P mentioned, there is no obvious focal point for me. I find myself looking at the cars and such. It needs to be much darker to convey night. The moon is a very difficult subject, especially in the city. Pollution and mist muck things up a lot. I tried this once and gave up. Everything looked burned out like yours. Keep in mind that what you feel when you press the shutter is often different from what you have to share when your image processing is done. Just ask my Trash folder...

Keep working on it and you will get better.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
as for Phrasikleia. thanks for the input actually want I want to be a subject is the moon above the houses and the feeling of the night

The moon doesn't work as a subject here because it doesn't have enough visual weight in the frame. There is too much else competing for attention. Perhaps one way you could have given this scene a subject would have been by including a figure in the foreground, perhaps looking down from a balcony. Then we would know the figure is the subject and maybe we could even read a little narrative into it, depending on the clues the figure might give us: is s/he waiting for a lover to arrive? Is s/he spying on someone? That sort of thing. As it is, the scene just looks unresolved.

-Madam P ;)

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Thanks for your input, will try to implemented next time ^_^. I'm learning alot from this forums because all of you. Thanks

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The panning shots- they are more of technical exercises instead of photos. Since although there is a clear subject, there really is no interest. They are all blurry, but keep working on the panning.

The nightscape, it's more like a photograph but yeah it lacks a strong composition. First of all the blank sky competes with the ground, and if you look at the overall balance you've got the "horizon" running right across the middle. You might be able to improve on the composition if you were standing on the ground or at least lower down, as you would have been able to keep the moon in the shot but include more ground for interest.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Ruahrc

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
What was your shutter speed on the motorcycle and cars set at? Looking at the images I kind of getting the feeling that it wasn't fast enough for the subject matter you were trying to capture. Even though the 2nd motorcycle in the picture is clearer than everything else, it's not clear by any stretch. A faster shutter speed would have cleared that up.

Also I do like one although it could definitely benefit from a more prominent subject. Good capture! :)

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
What was your shutter speed on the motorcycle and cars set at? Looking at the images I kind of getting the feeling that it wasn't fast enough for the subject matter you were trying to capture. Even though the 2nd motorcycle in the picture is clearer than everything else, it's not clear by any stretch. A faster shutter speed would have cleared that up.

Also I do like one although it could definitely benefit from a more prominent subject. Good capture! :)

I use 40. is it too slow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.