Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Guys,

Thanks to my other thread on close up filters (diopters?) I was able to partially break into the world of macro photography. I shot some pics in my backyard and was hoping for some critique on my first attempt at anything like this.

Here is the link (notice: 2 pages)

One thing I noticed was that lighting the subject was quite hard. Many of my attempts came out way overexposed while some came out really dark. I decided I would have to use my flash and came up with a simple diffuser out of some materials laying around: (crappy iPhone pic)

camera.jpg

Anyway, it was definitely a rewarding experience and I will absolutely do more of it. (By the way, they were all shot on my D50 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens, Quantaray diopter, and my Nikon SB-400)

Thanks!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
My jealous fiancee says you suck @$$, jokingly of course. Those are some great shots, and you should be proud of yourself. Those images are great shots especially given the gear that you are using.

I haven't seen many D300 or D3 owners produce images that good and post on this site. The only thing I can say is to turn down the vignetting and that's just my personal opinion.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I'm actually a fan of the vignetting--draws the eye to the subject. Nice gallery all around Aperture, great lighting and bokeh.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Thanks a lot for the complements, guys! I really appreciate it.

The vignetting was added in post. I suppose it may be a little too much on some of them but I do like like it, mostly. I'll have to go back and make some tweaks.

Anyway, I'm really happy considering this is my first attempt and I can't wait to try it again. I guess it just goes to show you that top of the line equipment isn't necessarily needed to get some cool shots! :)

Thanks Again!

Edit: Oh, & the diffuser doesn't look pretty and is kind of dorky but it works! I just wrapped some foam-y paper stuff around in a cone and hot glued the paper towel to the front, haha.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
These shots are excellent!
Having seen these I am definitely going to invest in some diopters, although I have found it quite hard to locate Canon or Nikon ones which people seem to recommend as being better than Hoya etc for some reason

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Great stuff! Macrophotography is a little hobby of mine, so I know the patience required to take shots like that! :)

Just a suggestion: When photographing bugs, clear focus on the eyes is crucial for the pic that can either make or break a picture. Just keep practicing! You're doing great! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.