Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What did you end up doing?

• I used multiple browsers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I consolidated with Firefox

• I did something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I use a combination of macOS , Windows, and Linux operating systems at work and home. My employer locks down the computers so that you can only use what they allow - Chrome, Firefox ( not Quantum ) , and Microsoft Edge.
Out of these I can run only Firefox or Chrome on all platforms.

I've gotten tired of having to switch browsers based on what OS I'm on. It's a pain to try to achieve feature parity - bookmarks, extensions, password sync, etc - between them so I'm going to simplify things by using a single browser for everything.

It looks like Chrome is the winner here.
Pro's
  • Use same extensions across all machines
  • Tons of extensions to choose from. Easy to write my own.
  • Use multiple profiles to switch between Work and Personal bookmarks, extensions, etc
  • Get really good at one browser. That includes general usage , web development and debugging tools.
  • Well-established. There is a lot of community support for the browser.
Cons
  • Mac Text replacement doesn't work with Chrome
  • iCloud Keychain doesn't work with Chrome. Replace with 1Password, which is slower for autofill but works.
  • Reading list doesn't work with Chrome . Replace with Pocket. I don't like the interface but I can make it work.
  • Memory hog! Slower than Safari on my Mac
  • Google has a reputation for discontinuing products. Chrome might disappear or the terms might change to something I don' t like. I'm still bruised from losing iGoogle and Google Reader.
  • Person pet peeve - cmd + z doesn't work. I use that to undo everything else, so it's natural to use to undo closing a tab.
Thoughts? Have you wrangled with this problem ? What did you end up doing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.