Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EwanP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Hi, I am looking for a decent all-in-one 'carrying solution' that can handle my macbook pro 15", Canon 400D, few lenses, and various other bits and pieces. Main use will be transporting everything through airports, and for use in my upcoming holiday in Japan.

I am pretty much settled on a crumpler bag, however is there anyone here who has either the Crumpler Daily L or XL and uses it with a 15" macbook pro? I need to know if the MBP will fit in the Daily L as I'd rather not get a bag thats too big for my needs...unfortunately, being in Poland there's nowhere to really go to compare sizes etc for crumpler bags...

Any help appreciated!

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
So you don't mind carrying a messenger bag through long tourist walks in Japan? I think a backpack would be better. Your shoulders and back will thank you for it.

I would have to second Abstract. I used a messenger type bag for about a year and my shoulder and back just couldn't take it anymore. I'm a college student too that commutes so I pretty much have to carry everything I need for that day. After realizing the pain I quickly changed over to a backpack which I haven't regretted. Good luck!

EwanP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for the replies. No I wouldn't be using it for long walks, I have a much smaller bag for that - this is really to transport all my gear from hotel to hotel and on flights etc in the future...

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Like the others have mentioned, a backpack is far better for your particular needs - I plumped for the Crumpler Pretty Boy XL. Fits a 15" MBP, DSLR (a D300 in my case) 3 lenses, flash and other accessories, whilst maintaining a useful space for any other needs in the main section. Brilliant transporter bag!

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I've got the Crumpler Daily XL (600 in the UK) and it's a fantastic bag. I have no problem fitting my 15" MacBook Pro, Canon 400d with battery grip, Sony HDR-SR5 video camera, Canon 70-200 L lens, couple of other smaller lenses, battery charger for dSLR and video camera, loads of USB leads and MBP power adaptor, small point and shoot camera and small 120GB external drive.

Full loaded it weights just over 8kg and feels very comfortable to carry. I bought mine for the exact same reason you are looking (but to America not Japan) and have found it so useful I use it when ever I need to take my camera and laptop with me.

I'd say go for it, you'll love it.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I don't have either of these particular bags (not available in the US), but I do have 4 different Crumpler bags and I love everyone! I have a 7 Million Dollar Home for transporting all my gear, a 5MDH for when I just want the 20D and a lens or two, I got my mom a 2MDH for here S3IS, and I have a Barney Rustle Blanket for just a multi-use bag. These are great bags made very well, and I love the style.

EwanP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Sounds very cool...does the MBP fit snugly or is there some wobble room? Also did you get a hands-on look at the Crumpler Daily L - if I could fit an MBP in that I'd probably just go for it as I don't need huge room...

Cheers!

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
It's a very snug fit. I'd say go for the XL to give you the room, you will use it. As you can see it takes a hell of a lot of kit, and the MBP fits very nicely at the back and is well padded. In the 3rd picture the video camera is under my dSLR body. not shown is the extra padding that goes on top of my dSLR body although not really needed as the top of the bag is padded.

Front row: 15" MacBook Pro

2nd Row: 58mm Macro filter pouch, Canon - 75-300 Mk. III USM, 18-55mm kit lens, 28-90 lens, 58mm CP filter on top of 120GB external HDD, sony video camera dock

3rd Row: MacBook Pro AC adaptor, bunch of cables (inc, 2 USB, fire wire and power cable) Sony AC adaptor (hidden by lens) canon battery charger, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 400d with battery grip fitted, Sony HDR-SR5 video camera

Back Row: Crumpler Daily 600 (XL) in Warm Grey/Black Grey. Although in truth it's more of an olive green.

Attachments

• crumpler daily 600.jpg
    crumpler daily 600.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,094
  • kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 781
  • all in.jpg
    all in.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 1,153

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I used to use a messenger bag for carrying around my 15" Macbook Pro, Nikon D70, and a couple extra lenses and doo-dads. I've since switched to a Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack. Abstract is right - a backpack is a lot more comfortable (and more compact, frankly, than a well-padded messenger bag!).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have the Crumpler Daily XXL and I hate that it doesn't have an outside pocket. Very bad for traveling. I didn't realize looking at the pictures, but I went for it because the only other alternative could break a laptop maybe.

My impression that this brand is mostly fashion has been confirmed.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I have the Crumpler Daily XXL and I hate that it doesn't have an outside pocket. Very bad for traveling. I didn't realize looking at the pictures, but I went for it because the only other alternative could break a laptop maybe.

My impression that this brand is mostly fashion has been confirmed.

I agree an outside pocket would be a nice addition,but it protects my camera, lenses and MBP so well I can live without an outside pocket. Plus as I only use the bag when traveling the only thing I'd put in an outside pocket would be my passport and travel documents and I prefer them in a jacket pocket.

EwanP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
It's a very snug fit. I'd say go for the XL to give you the room, you will use it. As you can see it takes a hell of a lot of kit, and the MBP fits very nicely at the back and is well padded. In the 3rd picture the video camera is under my dSLR body. not shown is the extra padding that goes on top of my dSLR body although not really needed as the top of the bag is padded.

Front row: 15" MacBook Pro

2nd Row: 58mm Macro filter pouch, Canon - 75-300 Mk. III USM, 18-55mm kit lens, 28-90 lens, 58mm CP filter on top of 120GB external HDD, sony video camera dock

3rd Row: MacBook Pro AC adaptor, bunch of cables (inc, 2 USB, fire wire and power cable) Sony AC adaptor (hidden by lens) canon battery charger, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 400d with battery grip fitted, Sony HDR-SR5 video camera

Back Row: Crumpler Daily 600 (XL) in Warm Grey/Black Grey. Although in truth it's more of an olive green.

Scott, thank you so much for your post and the incredibly helpful photos! You have settled the matter for me - although a backpack may be comfortable the Daily XL is really what I need, much more convenient for the kind of use I'm planning. I already have a smaller daybag for he camera and a few bits, the Daily loks perfect for air travel, weekend trips etc. And maybe one day I'll have as much kit as you...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.