Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I've gained interest in Photo Editing and looking to pick up Photoshop.

One problem. Which one to get. So far people have been recomending Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop Elements. Which one is right for me. I remember learning Photoshop last year but can't remember which version it was. I'm pretty new to photoshop and would like to learn the basic.

Can anyone tell me about the two or maybe there are more. Just wondering which one i should get.

Thanks alot.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I would recommend elements if you are starting out. If you start with a learning curve that is too high than you could get discouraged. You can always upgrade to Photoshop later. Price is probably a factor also so elements will be easier on the budget. The thing is good/great photos start in camera so shoot good stuff and don't rely on software to do things you can do in camera. Learn your gear inside and out and develop a shooting style.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Elements will do everything a photographer needs to do and if you do find you need something more Adobe has an upgrade option where you can get most of the money spend on Elements back. So you have nothing to loose if you buy Elements.

If you were doing design work rather then photography PS CS3 does have many features that graphic artists like but for photo editing Elements will do.

All that said, PS CS3 now runs native in Intel Macs while Elements is still PPC and needs Rosetta. I'm sure Adobe will soon release a universal version of Elements. But they have to get over the CS3 launch first

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I'm waiting on an intel native Elements myself. I've found that Elements does everything I would need and more- definitely the right move to go with elements, in my opinion.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Sorry to Hijack the thread but does anyone know id Adobe plans to release a new version of elements, it looks as if elements on a Mac is on version 4 and on windows version 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.