Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just downloaded and installed the Photoshop CS4 Trial onto my iMac, but when I attempt to run it I get a error message that says "You can't open the application "Adobe Photoshop CS4" because it is not supported on this architecture".

What exactly does this mean? How do I fix it? I purchased my iMac brand new in May of this year...

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I just downloaded and installed the Photoshop CS4 Trial onto my iMac, but when I attempt to run it I get a error message that says "You can't open the application "Adobe Photoshop CS4" because it is not supported on this architecture".

What exactly does this mean? I purchased my iMac brand new in May of this year...

while I don't know what this message means I also got it recently:

I downloaded the Premiere Pro CS4 trial and after installation, when trying to open the application, I got the exact same message.

I then decided to reinstall the trial, but it gave the message again.

The solution for me was to re-download the disk image and from that dmg it worked fine.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Are either of you working on PPC?

Also, it's possible a version of the image was out there on a mirror site, but flawed, hence redownloading fixing the problem.

That's just a guess--there are multitudes of explanations of this phenomenon. OP: did you redownload? If so, did it work?

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I downloaded the file again and still receive the same error message. How do I delete it entirely from my system? (sorry for the newb question, I still am not sure how to "uninstall" programs like I used to do on my PC...)

Perhaps I should remove it and then download it again, and install...

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Are either of you working on PPC?

I for one am on an Intel system.

One more question to the OP:

Is your application somehow crossed out? as in: does it hav some kind of generic application icon with a grey overlay?

the reason i ask: this was the case on my failed install, but at the time i though it just failed to load the app. icon.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I for one am on an Intel system.

One more question to the OP:

Is your application somehow crossed out? as in: does it hav some kind of generic application icon with a grey overlay?

the reason i ask: this was the case on my failed install, but at the time i though it just failed to load the app. icon.

That's exactly what it is....a grey "no smoking sign" thing-a-ma-jig that is over the icon...should I try to reinstall? erase and re download?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
For most things you can just drag the application to the trash to delete it.

If you don't think that's thorough enough, use AppZapper.

For Adobe products, Adobe usually offers a script to clean everything out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.