Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

I am looking for an external UHD/Blu-Ray drive that has been confirmed to work on a Mac. I have been reading a few threads on the MakeMKV site and also some reviews from Amazon. I would rather not have to flash a drive, as I know the Pioneer drives are supposed to work out of the box, although slower, but I would just like to confirm with someone here who has done it or is currently doing it.

Want to start ripping 4k UHD discs, already have a Blu-Ray ripper, but want to now start ripping my 4k UHD discs.

Thanks

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I use LG BP55EB40 (I like its slim form and USB-only power), reflashed with BP60NB10 firmware (as was posted on makeMKV forum) and it lost its riplock and started to read UHD movie discs as well.
That makes me think, that if I had bought BP60NB10 right away, I would be in the same place without the flashing.
Although flashing was a straightforward process.
DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD-UHD_Friendly.jpg DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD-No_riplock.jpg

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
That is funny, I already messaged him about the same item prior to posting here. Waiting for him to get back to me. No issues I am assuming?
No issues with the initial transaction, he was very thorough with good follow through. I haven't ripped many discs, lately. I was more interested in backing up some of my OOP UHDs to writeable physical discs. But I was struggling to get consistent results with authoring software.

So if you have any tips on macOS-based UHD disc authoring software, that might be just the motivation I need to start fooling around with it again :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I use LG BP55EB40 (I like its slim form and USB-only power), reflashed with BP60NB10 firmware (as was posted on makeMKV forum) and it lost its riplock and started to read UHD movie discs as well.
That makes me think, that if I had bought BP60NB10 right away, I would be in the same place without the flashing.
Although flashing was a straightforward process.
View attachment 1987450 View attachment 1987449

Were you able to flash it with your Mac, or did you have to use a Windows's box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.