Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Last year when Apple introduced widgets I was excited because widgets have become stale and a forgotten feature on Android by developers. I thought for sure iOS developers would breathe new life into them and make them become relevant again. Sadly this hasn't been the case at all. Instead there's just a few widgets available from the apps I use everyday - mostly Apple's stock widgets. Very few 3rd party developers have even bothered to push out a widget. Are widgets dead in 2022? Do iPhone users even use them or care about them?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
In my opinion, they were dead the minute Apple released them. They are just yet another half-Rsed attempt at bringing in new features. They are entirely useless, they don’t update frequently enough. They are not interactive, need we say more?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I wish there was a decent weather widget on the home screen, like Android had (has?). It was nice to look down at my phone and know if I had time to get outdoors without launching an app. It was quick and to the point.

Not a fan of a widget-specific screen, like Apple's implementation.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
In my opinion, they were dead the minute Apple released them. They are just yet another half-Rsed attempt at bringing in new features. They are entirely useless, they don’t update frequently enough. They are not interactive, need we say more?

Well, unproven but I'd add that a quite a few people on the thread discussing iOS 16 battery drain right now are suspicious that certain widgets such as weather on the lock screen are impacting battery life so you could add at least the suspicion that Apple's implementation is not well implemented and/or buggy in terms of efficient battery use is concerned.

I quite like a few widgets e.g. calendar on my home screen and battery on my swipe-left-to-right from home screen page plus I also use a bit of a cheat on that page by having a shortcut widget that gives me 4 buttons to launch things like Settings and some other basics from that "screen to the left of the home screen" page. Apart from that though I'm purging most of my widgets from my various screens because I do think they are putting a drain on my battery life.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I don't know anymore when iOS got widgets, but it surely was way more than one year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.