Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Hey I use a different custom ringtone and text tone for my main contacts, including ones I installed myself on iOS using iMazing. This works exactly like it should. However, on macOS, setting tones (in the Contacts app) SEEMS to be limited ONLY to the ones built-in to macOS (and located in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AlertTones. Sounds in /Library/Sounds or ~/Library/Sounds do not appear.

Does anyone know of any way to use custom tones on mac Messages??

Thanks

Pete

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I haven't seen one for the "sealed" versions of macOS.
Presumably one could perform the necessary voodoo of disabling SIP, going to Recovery to execute csrutil authenticated-root disable, mount the System volume and copy the files, and bless a new snapshot of the volume using a command such as sudo bless --folder /[mountpath]/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot

This is all problematic and when i experimented with it when Big Sur was new, i had trouble getting it back to a condition where Apple Pay or Touch ID and so forth would work again. I probably did something wrong.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.