Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwidesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Premise: I've recently performed a clean install of 10.11.2 on my 2011 MBP, coming from a 10.8.x installation... quite the upgrade! :)

Since my first mac with 10.4 Tiger I've grown accustomed to the comfort of system wide shortcuts, and one of those I used most was the "Cycle through windows" one, which for my setup (Italian keyboard) has always been CMD+'

Since I started using El Cap a couple days ago, I was shocked that the shortcut wasn't working anymore... a visit to the Keyboard preference panel led me to find that there is now a default shortcut named "Move focus to next windows", which was given the default shortcut CMD+` (note it's ` and not '), a key I don't even have on my Italian keyboard.

I changed it to CMD+' and magically the functionality is back as before for all apps... this still bugs me tho. For example, while the "Move focus to next windows" command works in any app so far, Finder still has its own "Cycle through windows" command in the Window menu item, with its own keyboard shortcut, which is now basically a dupe...

Did anyone else notice this change? is there any rationale to this?

Thanks a lot :)

kiwidesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
It's always been CMD ` for me. For as long as I can remember, anyway :)
Uhm... than I guess they messed something in not recognizing the Italian locale and adapting the shortcut... Still find it strange that Finder has its own different command and shortcut for the same function .___.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.