Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I was looking at another thread when I say KEH.com. I was looking around and saw that I could get a D1 for only 310 or so. Is the D1 worth the money any more? Does the body have autofocus built in? I am currently looking to upgrade. How much could I see my current Nikon D40 for? Could I sell accessories as well or would only the D40 body sell? Where could I sell my D40 specific accessories?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was looking at another thread when I say KEH.com. I was looking around and saw that I could get a D1 for only 310 or so. Is the D1 worth the money any more? Does the body have autofocus built in? I am currently looking to upgrade. How much could I see my current Nikon D40 for? Could I sell accessories as well or would only the D40 body sell? Where could I sell my D40 specific accessories?

Id's say you should be able to trade a D40 straight even for the D1. I bet KEH would accept that offer if not you could sell the D40 for slightly more than $310

If you are shooting for the web and don't intend to make prints 2.7MP are enough pixels. But the D1 is just not going to make big prints. The best part is that the D1 worked with all the old manual focus lenses. if you have a bag of those the D1 would be nice but on the other hand maybe the D100 would be better. The D100 has a sensor a lot like the D40 and also can use all those old lenses.

If what you really want is just the built-in focus motor your best upgrade would be to trade the D40 for a D50. It would cost you about $100, I think.

The D1 is a great example of why I tell people that a DSLR might llast 10+ year you'd still replace it. Look how far camera have come in only 10 years. The D1 was an expensive state of the art camera in 1999 and is now les valuable then a used d50.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I would think moving backwards, in terms of sensor technology, would be a mistake. Noise performance would likely be worse, for one thing. Plus getting less than three megapixels... I know there's a "megapixel myth", but at that end of the scale the differences in resolution likely do matter.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
i recently sold my D1H, and even though its only 2.74mp its image quality was as good as any nikon ive owned (D50, D2H, D40X) - far less noise then my current D2H.

They may be old, and unless you want to make big prints or do a lot of cropping, its as good as many current models for image quality.

the only bad thing about them is the lcd quality, pictures always look too bright or dark when in fact they are just right, and you can't zoom in much either, the size and weight - d40s are like an ipod shuffle in comparison.

It has a few advantages over a D40; 5 AF points, a tiny bit faster 3fps over 2.5fps, sync and remote ports, less going into the menu to change settings, a proper prism so the viewfinder is brighter, vertical mode, and although it doesn't support iTTL flash modes, I used my SB800 on it flawlessly, plus its made like a tank.

if they haven't got a decent priced D50 or D70 get it.

Bye

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Id's say you should be able to trade a D40 straight even for the D1. I bet KEH would accept that offer if not you could sell the D40 for slightly more than $310

If you are shooting for the web and don't intend to make prints 2.7MP are enough pixels. But the D1 is just not going to make big prints. The best part is that the D1 worked with all the old manual focus lenses. if you have a bag of those the D1 would be nice but on the other hand maybe the D100 would be better. The D100 has a sensor a lot like the D40 and also can use all those old lenses.

If what you really want is just the built-in focus motor your best upgrade would be to trade the D40 for a D50. It would cost you about $100, I think.

The D1 is a great example of why I tell people that a DSLR might llast 10+ year you'd still replace it. Look how far camera have come in only 10 years. The D1 was an expensive state of the art camera in 1999 and is now les valuable then a used d50.

The built in focus is the big thing. I hadn't done a ton of research before asking here. I didn't realize the D1 only had 3 megapixles. So you are saying that I could trade my D40 in to KEH and the pay 100 and get a D100? How would I go about starting this trade like thing? If I then do this would I still be able to use my spare batteries and remote control and memory cards with the D100?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
If I then do this would I still be able to use my spare batteries and remote control and memory cards with the D100?

Probably not. Highly unlikely with the batteries.

Also, I think it'd be dumb to trade back several years. By this time the tech in the D40 is better than the D1's. Take advantage of it.

(Yes, the D1 does have some nice pro qualities, but the D40 is years ahead)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Don't trade your D40 for a D1. The first thing that will piss you off is the battery life which was terrible even for it's time. Nikon put their foot in the battery life of the D2 series because of the heat they got for the D1. The LCD is terrible as was said and so is the IQ above ISO 800. This is all compared to your D40 of course. The only advantage is the build quality.

Don't get the D100 either. It's a larger D40 with a microscopically faster buffer and AF engine. The IQ isn't going to change and in some instances will get worse than your D40. It's heavier and you don't get a much better build quality. The only advantage is the grip which is un-Godly and only allows you to use two batteries and do some other things that I am sure you won't need to do.

I say stick with the D40, grab NOTHING below the D70s as a trade in or second body, or get anything else that is currently on the market. The D1 and D100 are just too old to bother with. They are nostalgic, but not worth buying to do meaningful shooting with (IMHO).

p.s. Nothing you have with your D40 will work with the D1 or D100. They will work with the D40x D60. And the D80 and up sans the batteries.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

At this point, I'd say the D1 is only worth buying if you want to take advantage of Hasselblad's trade-up program. If you want screwdriver focus, get a D50- KEH has one at EX for 349.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The built in focus is the big thing. I hadn't done a ton of research before asking here. I didn't realize the D1 only had 3 megapixles. So you are saying that I could trade my D40 in to KEH and the pay 100 and get a D100? How would I go about starting this trade like thing? If I then do this would I still be able to use my spare batteries and remote control and memory cards with the D100?

I doubt you could use you batteries and memory cards. As I remeber the d100 took CF cards. As I said the only reason to go with a D100 is if you have manual focus lenses. the D100 will meter with them. The D50 is better (newer) and will work with all autofocus lenses. How to trade it? You'd be lucky to work a true trade. You'd likey have to sell the D40 and buy a d50.

But why not just shoot the d40?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Unless you need a camera that's built like a tank and you don't mind having a 3 MP camera, then think about it. Its built quality is superior to any consumer class camera, but that's probably not going to be of any use to you.

If you want to upgrade form the D40, have a look at the D80: the viewfinder alone makes it worth the upgrade.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

By your reference to "the built in focus is the big thing" I am guessing that you are frustrated with the D40 being able only to autofocus with AF-S lenses?
You'd be better off to move to a D80 if that is your issue.

No, you would not be able to use your batteries, remote control or memory cards with the older D1 or D100 because they used CF cards, not SD cards, and their batteries are much larger than the one for the D40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.