Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
While on a trip to Costa Rica, my friend's D100 was stolen. She's looking to replace it with a D80 or D200. Considering she does casual photography--but serious enough to disregard a D40(X) or D50--for a school (on trips, etc), which one would y'all suggest?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Because she had a d100 and they take compact flash cards the logical next buy up would be the d200. I know that sounds silly to say but if she has some cash invested in cards the d80 afaik takes sd cards not cf cards.
Besides, if she was into it all enough to buy the d100 when it was out then the d200 seems like the next step imho.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
While on a trip to Costa Rica, my friend's D100 was stolen. She's looking to replace it with a D80 or D200. Considering she does casual photography--but serious enough to disregard a D40(X) or D50--for a school (on trips, etc), which one would y'all suggest?
Unless she needs 5 fps (instead of 3) and a metal body, the D80 is the way to go. The difference in MP is not worth mentioning, the viewfinder (which is the best feature of the D80, mark my words, lightyears ahead) is very large, it is fast (no noticeably lag after switching it on), the image quality is amazing and well worth the money. If she wants to, she can still get a battery grip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.