Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Are hot pixels really common on the D200?

Is there any way to remap them by oneself?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've not got any on mine, if that's any help.
I don't think you can map them out yourself but you can fix the resulting photos in Aperture or Photoshop. In Aperture you could use lift and stamp adjustments to apply it in bulk to multiple photos.

The only other alternative would be to return the camera for service

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've got one. That's it. It was a bummer when I noticed it, but it has never bothered me more than that. Live with it, you won't see it in the pictures.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Hot or dead pixels are pretty much a fact of digital life on all digital cameras, and will often occur on longer exposures especially. When the camera is new, they are mapped out at the factory, but more will usually develop given enough time. Rumor has it that using Live View on a D300 or D3 might fix the problem - but that won't help you on your D200, which doesn't have that feature AFAIK.

AFAIK, there is no Nikon-specific software that allows you to go into your camera's firmware and re-map the sensor yourself - you'd have to send it to Nikon and have them do it (I've done this and it worked great - but mine was under warranty). You could retouch them with the auto-retouch brush in Capture NX/NX2 and set it up as a batch process to do an entire folder, or you could set up an action in Photoshop to clone it out. You may well find that it's not intrusive enough to bother with in most situations.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I didn't realize I had hot pixels until I bought a VR lens and tried to shoot low light photography on a very hot night. A 1/10th of a second exposure (above 800 iso) causes the pixels to leak and I get about 6 bright color pixels spread all across the image.

It was a real pisser the first time I saw it.

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
I had a few hot pixels on my D80, and they got worse over time to the point where I had like 30 or so red, green or blue crosses in my images. Only option really is to send it in. Hopefully your D200 is still under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.