Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
My friend lend me his new d300s for a month for me to play. It's a very good camera, even superb. anyway, I compared it to d40x for the shutter speed, iso, and the aperture. I've reset the d300s back to the factory setting using the button combo, and from the camera menus. The d300s seems has a different setting for shutter speed, and aperture for the same iso setting. For example, I got myself into a macro workshop, I brought 2 cam (d300s and d40x), in the same lightning condition, in my d40x (iso 200, f2.8, speed 100), but in d300s using the same iso (I turned of automatic iso setting), the same f2.8, but to achieve the same picture, I need to use 150-200 shutter speed. Also I compared to other participants camera (mostly cannon), it match the d40x, not the d300s. My question is that a normal thing for d300s? (fyi, I use matrix, and center weighted, manual mode)
Thanks

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If everything is equal, and if you're metering off of the same subject in stable lighting that isn't changing at all, I wouldn't expect you to get a whole stop of difference between the two cameras. Make sure neither one has exposure compensation set. Were you using the same lens with both cameras?

It would be helpful if you could post an image from each camera with EXIF info intact. That way we can evaluate the settings for you.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
the d300s doesn't set the exposre compensation. it's just being fully resetted (by combo button, and from each category that has the reset option).
I will post the picture later on
Thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My question is that a normal thing for d300s? (fyi, I use matrix, and center weighted, manual mode)
Thanks

Make sure both cameras are in the same metering mode- which mode you have it in will affect the results, and the DB is probably different between the two if you've got it in matrix metering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.