Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Worst-kept secret of the photo industry - the D3X was (prematurely) announced in Nikon Pro magazine, about 3 days ahead of Nikon's official announcement.

The downside is that, although many/most of the specs are known, pricing and some other details aren't, leading to rampant speculation about value etc. The end result is that, on a lot of the forums like DPR, the camera is taking more of a bashing than it otherwise would if Nikon had been able to contol the information release commensurate with the camera's flagship status. Nikon Inc. has great engineering, but bottom line, this is yet another example of the rest of the company stepping on their own foot again. What an amazing company. Very interesting that they've been able to stay on top of the camera industry despite the general incompetence of their marketing department over these past 5 years.

As to the camera -- 24.5 megapixels in an otherwise unchanged D3 body. 5FPS in FX, DX crop mode at 10mp and 7 FPS.

nikon-d3x-front-2-1.jpg

scan-081128-0003.jpg

scan-081128-0006.jpg

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Thanks for the heads-up. Please make the images smaller though…

It's a shame that Nikon Marketing isn't what Apple's is.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow very nice. But dude I gotta agree with the above poster, use TIMG tags asap.

I wonder if the price point will be where the D3 is at now, thus dropping the price of the D3 a few hundred bucks or more. Hopefully. :)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Wow very nice. But dude I gotta agree with the above poster, use TIMG tags asap.

I wonder if the price point will be where the D3 is at now, thus dropping the price of the D3 a few hundred bucks or more. Hopefully. :)

My guess is that's what's going on -- drop the price of the D3 to make room for a $5500 - $6000 price point for the D3X. We've already been seeing the D3 coming down (MSRP $5000 vs $4200 at B&H). I don't know if the D3X will come in at $5000 (inclined to doubt it) but we'll know tonight at midnight.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well this is similar to what happen in the 3rd Gen Nano (not to forget, fatboy nano) right? The design is leaked out, the features is leaked out, and when the announcement of the actual product is shown, it lacks the hooray feeling. And instead before the product is even release, you get pages and pages of bashing from a product that's not even released yet.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Formal announcement is Dec 1 on this side of the IDL. Midnight EST if previous press announcments are any indication.

The camera rounds out Nikon's lineup. I doubt this will be a big-market item.

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
According to this UK retailer the D3x price is expected to be around £5,500=US$8,466 (they even take pre-order deposits of £20). Expect the US price to be lower (the US price is not determined by direct rate conversion).

Taken from http://www.nikonrumors.com

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Won't be buying it, so I won't even bother looking.

No, I agree. But it's an interesting phenomenon. Not the camera itself...but the effect on photography gearheads around the world, especially over at DPR. The drums are beating loudly over there and the natives are getting themselves pretty worked up in advance of the formal announcement and pricing.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
ROTFLMAO!

$8000 Estimated Street Price for the D3X. The cognoscenti over at DPR are going wild.

A usual, this camera was massively overhyped by forum speculation to the point where it couldn't possibly live up to the fantasy expectations laid out for it by those guys. Then the preannouncement debacle.

It's OK though. Soon the seething will settle down and the D3X will become what it was meant to be....not the savior of all photography, but rather a competent high-res full-frame competitor to the 1DsMkIII.

Image samples here....pretty impressive.

/

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Let me get this straight:

Nikon released info on their new flagship camera a few days before they had intended to...

Thus photographers are mad at them? WTF?! That's like if Apple released a Mac Pro 3 days before MWSF.. that'd be awesome!

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Let me get this straight:

Nikon released info on their new flagship camera a few days before they had intended to...

Thus photographers are mad at them? WTF?! That's like if Apple released a Mac Pro 3 days before MWSF.. that'd be awesome!

Nah. Nikon didn't release the info, it came out in a third-party non-Nikon-owned magazine aimed at Nikon professional photographers about 3 days in advance of the actual release date. The article didn't have all the details (including pricing) so the result was intense, wild, and in many cases unrealistic expectations for the camera. People aren't mad at Nikon for the premature release, they're mad because (among other things)
  • it costs $8000
  • it doesn't have video
  • it only does 5 FPS
  • it's in a big, heavy D3 body (I think many would have preferred a D700X
  • it will only go to (native) ISO 1600

The three days between the teaser and the actual announcement only served to amplify the intense speculation setting them up for more disappointment.

The whole introduction was botched in the opinion of some, including the hacked firmware discovery (someone found D3X coding in firmware months ago), several missed expected announcement dates, and now this magazine thing. All-in-all, a rather botched new-product introduction, especially for their new flagship camera.

Bottom line IMHO, they're mad because they were expecting their fantasy camera and choked on the hard dose of reality that Nikon dished out this morning.

As to Apple, the same thing happens, although product launches are usually handled better, and expectations managed better. The rumors etc start building a new Apple computer up, it gets introduced, followed immediately by significant bashing of the new computer here on MacRumors when people find out that their computer fantasies weren't met.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Anyone that truly needs one will know that it's a great camera. It's the perfect high res backup for the D3 IMHO, and will server photogs that need speed on day and high resolution the next.

If I have the budget, I'd have one of them and either a D3 or D700 in my bag on a regular basis. The 8000 is a bit much, and since I don't have the cash would prefer a dual D700 kit or single D3 kit with SB-900/800 strobes and 14-24 and 24-70.

It is safe to say that Nikon has finally matched Canon blow for blow in terms of body offerings. The "cut them off at the knees" strategy for Nikon is at an end, and Nikon is making face blows.

For a body like that, with that resolution and price, I'd expect 5fps and ISO 50-3200 instead of a super hi res and super fast shutter speed. Nikon could have left off high speed crop IMO since no one in their right mind would spend $8000 and not have FX glass, or want a 24.5MP camera so they can shoot in a lower resolution.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
*yawn*

Makes me wonder what Canon will do for the 1Ds Mark IV honestly since Nikon seems to still be playing catch up, maybe not to the extent they were years ago but they are playing catch up.

The 1Ds Mark III was announced August of 2007 - 21.1MP @ 5FPS 16-bit TIFF's etc and NOW December 1st 2008 we get Nikons answer..

I'm glad to see Nikon trying to give Canon a run for their money especially with the d300/d700/d3 offerings but its still too little too late..

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'm glad to see Nikon trying to give Canon a run for their money especially with the d300/d700/d3 offerings but its still too little too late..[bold added]

Don't feed the trolls... Nikon shooters, no need to respond, we know he's wrong.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No, I agree. But it's an interesting phenomenon. Not the camera itself...but the effect on photography gearheads around the world, especially over at DPR. The drums are beating loudly over there and the natives are getting themselves pretty worked up in advance of the formal announcement and pricing.

The thing is I just bought a D700.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Anyone that truly needs one will know that it's a great camera. It's the perfect high res backup for the D3 IMHO, and will server photogs that need speed on day and high resolution the next.

If I have the budget, I'd have one of them and either a D3 or D700 in my bag on a regular basis. The 8000 is a bit much, and since I don't have the cash would prefer a dual D700 kit or single D3 kit with SB-900/800 strobes and 14-24 and 24-70.

It is safe to say that Nikon has finally matched Canon blow for blow in terms of body offerings. The "cut them off at the knees" strategy for Nikon is at an end, and Nikon is making face blows.

For a body like that, with that resolution and price, I'd expect 5fps and ISO 50-3200 instead of a super hi res and super fast shutter speed. Nikon could have left off high speed crop IMO since no one in their right mind would spend $8000 and not have FX glass, or want a 24.5MP camera so they can shoot in a lower resolution.

Hard to believe that the D3X would stay at $8000 for long. The body and all of it's associated parts are paid for.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hard to believe that the D3X would stay at $8000 for long. The body and all of it's associated parts are paid for.

Very true, which is why like many, I think Nikon botched the launch. But I see it being at $8000 for a decent 3-6 months before the price comes down a bit either by Nikon rebate or Nikon easing up off the dealers.

The big questions I have are.... 1) When a D700x @ $4500, and 2)What is Nikon's projected number of unit sales. I am sure that the $8000 is primarily a sensor and minor firmware thing for Nikon, and most shooters may not see the huge benefit in shooting at that res outside of the studio or for fine art/high end weddings.

Also, at that price point, as I mentioned in another thread, the freelancer may have a better bargain with a 35FF Scarlet and Nikon mount if he/she is pulling double duty.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It's a silly upgrade for Nikon. Why?

It has marginal megapixel increase over the massively cheaper EOS 5DII, though it does have the build/body of the D3/1D series. However, is that really going to be worth thousands? Probably not. Same goes for the 1Ds, but at least the 1Ds price isn't as high. Hell, the Sony has the same sensor (it seems), and costs way less.

The base specifications are roughly the same as the 1Ds3 and processing power is barely increased over the D3 (in terms of megabytes/sec), despite there being a significant time gap between the releases. Where's the progress? The ISO range is lower than the D3, which is a step backwards.

I was hoping for something better - say the same megapixels, but able to shoot at 7-8fps and a 12-15mpx DX mode. Cheaper too, the price is just insane. The D3x is equalising with the 1Ds3 with maybe a handful of very minor improvements - but a year and a bit later. I'm sure Canon will release the IV sometime, and yet again go "one better" (as is the way with cameras...).

Nikon shooters are better off with a D700 for full frame, and a D3 if they really want. If they're willing to hop to Canon, they can pick up a 5DII and a 1D3. All of this for less, and with the advantages of double bodies. Or even just pick one and spend the rest on lenses.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Very good opinion.

But the autofocus in the D3x is enough of a deal breaker for many, me included. It's hands down the better autofocusing engine in either the 1DIII or the 5DII which carried over the four year old AF engine of the 5D.

It pains me to see shooters still not understanding the differences between high res and high speed bodies. There is no way the D3x would have been able to do anything near 7 or 8 fps at full resolution. Comparing it to the Sony A900 is a mistake only in the sense that there is a lot more that goes in to the chip other than the pixels. The AA filter I know is different and the image processing will be the deciding factor.

I would have to say that the price is a bit un-Nikon but I can also see the price of it dropping fast as not too many Nikon shooters may pick up a camera that charges an extra $3000 for a 24.5MP sensor.

BUT, if the body produces the IQ of the D3/D700 at all ISOs, and factually NOISELESS ISO 50, and has the hybrid performance of a high speed camera with DX crop then it will be a better choice than the 1DsIII on those merits alone. Then add the better AF, to step it up another notch, then the gimmicky but useful features like dual CF slots and much better live view shooting and LCD.

Nikon should have priced it at around $6000 instead, like they have been doing to Canon for a while, and really made the body a contender. But if there are Nikon shooters out there needing 24.5MP in a ultra professional body there it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.