Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Hi All,
I have a friend with a Nikon D40 who wants a bigger SD card. A different friend works for a company that makes flash products, so I can get a 2, 4, or 8 gig card at a big discount.

However, with an older camera I had, once the card got more full, it would slow down tremendously.

So, anyone out there using a D40 with a 4 or 8 gig card?
Any slowdowns when the card starts getting full?

Thanks

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Hi All,
I have a friend with a Nikon D40 who wants a bigger SD card. A different friend works for a company that makes flash products, so I can get a 2, 4, or 8 gig card at a big discount.

However, with an older camera I had, once the card got more full, it would slow down tremendously.

So, anyone out there using a D40 with a 4 or 8 gig card?
Any slowdowns when the card starts getting full?

Thanks

The D40 has a buffer that saves the pictures first before transferring to the card, pretty much like ram in your computer, you won't experience slow down on new DSLRs like you have in the past. The main key is to get a fast enough card, look at 150x / Class 6 SDHC cards if you are looking at 4-8GB cards.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Does Nikon support 150x cards? In my D70 they won't support above 80x.

Where did you hear that false rumor? If the D70 doesn't support a card above 80x that card must be a piece of generic garbage.

Yes it's supported perfectly fine.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Where did you hear that false rumor? If the D70 doesn't support a card above 80x that card must be a piece of generic garbage.

Yes it's supported perfectly fine.

I've shot 133x successfully.

However, a Nikon service rep specifically told me that anything above 80x is not supported by Nikon.

Oh, and I've never shot generic garbage. Always Lexar.

mymacmini

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2007
Garbage Cards

Ladies, please fight about generic cards on a different string.
BTW - I shoot Lexar Platinum :cool::D

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
The D40 has a buffer that saves the pictures first before transferring to the card, pretty much like ram in your computer, you won't experience slow down on new DSLRs like you have in the past. The main key is to get a fast enough card, look at 150x / Class 6 SDHC cards if you are looking at 4-8GB cards.

The slowdowns also used to happen when reading the card (start ups and viewing the pics)

Just wanted to be sure it would be ok.

The nikon specs don't say 8gb had been tested, so I wanted to know if anyone is using one.

Thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.