Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
i'm interested in buying a camera and would like some advice/opinions.
I have 3 kids and I travel on vacation quite abit with and without them and would like to be able to take really nice quality photos.
I've looked at Nikon D40 (they do not make D40x anymore) and for $100 more I have looked at the D60, which i know is better but am not sure what I really need for this level of photography.
I also looked at Nikon Coolpix 100 but the quality did not look nearly as good on that as the D40.
Would appreciate any ideas.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Have a little search around there are plenty of threads around here with lots of good valuable information! There isn't much difference if I recall about the D40 - D60 apart from mega pixels and anti dust shaker ooogy flip

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
So I guess D40 is the one for me then :)
Any last minute advice like what lens should I get?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
If you're sure you want a DSLR, I'd recommend a D40. I just bought one and I love it. The 18-55mm kit lens is great, and if you're taking pictures of your kids (i.e. close/medium range), it should do fine.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
So I guess D40 is the one for me then :)
Any last minute advice like what lens should I get?

I like my D40 and have both the std lens and the 55-200 VR. I do wish I had the 18-200VR as I really hate to carry extra lenses around and hate to change them. If you can make the payments, I really suggest that.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Oh, and to add, with kids the lens-changing thing becomes a pain and you miss shots besides. On vacation you will find that nobody wants to carry the extra lens. These shots only come once, so consider it an investment and get the big zoom.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
The D60 really isn't better than the D40. It just has one or two fancy features and a few megapixels nobody needs. Concerning the megapixels, less is better anyway, so you get proper low-light performance.
The D40 runs for about 350€ tops around here, and another 200€ gets you the awesome 35mm f/1.8 low light standard lens. That's a combination you will love.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
oh great, thank you all for the feedback. Gonna get the D40 tomorrow as they were closed today. Will learn with the basic lens and then will buy better one when I get comfortable. :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've looked at Nikon D40 (they do not make D40x anymore) and for $100 more I have looked at the D60, which i know is better but am not sure what I really need for this level of photography.

Look FIRST at the kit of equipment you might want to own in five years. You might have an SLR body and a few lenses by then. The lenses will be the larger portion of the system. Think about them FIRST. Then buy whatever SSLR body fits them, be that a Canon or a Nikon

What ever brand you start with you will be locked into for a long time because later when you buy an upgrade lens or body it will have to be the same brand. Switching is expensive and few make a switch later.

So the only advice I have to to think a few years ahead. Do yo want to ever use a Nikon non- AF-S type lens? Why or why not? Can you even answer? If you don't know, think a little longer before you buy.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
oh great, thank you all for the feedback. Gonna get the D40 tomorrow as they were closed today. Will learn with the basic lens and then will buy better one when I get comfortable. :)

I've been using the D40 for about a year now, and I've been nothig but satisfied. It takes great pictures. Keep in mind lenses are important. With kids running around, you will want a fast lens as to not miss action. I would recommend looking into the 35m prime lens that recently came out, and WILL auto focus on the D40. That lens is $200.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Have you looked at the Nikon D5000? It is the replacement to the D40 and is brand new. Might not even be in stores yet. It is more expensive but has the latest sensor and tech. I think it would last you much longer than the D40.

From what I've gathered about the photography market, things don't age like you might be used to things ageing in other markets.

People are using lenses from film cameras on DSLRs and vice versa, and the camera body doesn't really mean as much as people think. Having the D5000 will cost you more and won't make you take better pictures or "last" any longer. I'll be able to use the DX lenses that come out in 10 years on my D40 like I'd be able to use them on a D5000 with no difference.

The technology in both cameras is largely the same. That's why DSLR products cost so much - there's rarely any real need to update, so sales are fairly low volume. To make up for that, manufacturers have ridiculously high margins.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I think the D40 will be perfect for you. For a DSLR it is very small and light. Important when you are traveling and carrying things about all day.

As for snaps just stick the thing on auto mode, hand it to your kids and you will be very impressed by the photos it will take.
It is also very capable as you learn how to use it properly. The 1.8 35mm lens is a bargain too.

Try looking at a second hand D40. There's a lot of people who decide they want the D90 after buying it..so you might be able to pick one up very cheaply. (maybe around $250 if you are lucky)

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Got the D40 and even though I'm still learning it makes fantastic pictures so thank you all for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.