Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
Ok, so last night I ordered a nikon d5000 to begin my journey on shooting with a DSLR. So I told my friend today at school and he kind of seems to get upset. He currently owns a d60 and he told me that a better deal would be a d40 not a d5000. That the d5000 doesn't have many more more features compared to the d40. I wanted to know your opinion on this topic. I have read that the d5000 is essentially a d90 with most of the features, especially after looking at this chart http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/ . I really was his surprised at his comment saying that I would be better off d40. Oh well people....

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Is his name Ken Rockwell? Seriously though, the D5000 is newer, has a CMOS sensor instead of CCD, which is a bit better for larger sensors. I'd say it's a case of "don't want my friend to have better gear than me".

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ok, so last night I ordered a nikon d5000 to begin my journey on shooting with a DSLR. So I told my friend today at school and he kind of seems to get upset. He currently owns a d60 and he told me that a better deal would be a d40 not a d5000. That the d5000 doesn't have many more more features compared to the d40. I wanted to know your opinion on this topic. I have read that the d5000 is essentially a d90 with most of the features, especially after looking at this chart http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/ . I really was his surprised at his comment saying that I would be better off d40. Oh well people....

I think you are right. But also. Which SLR body you used makes very little difference. Beginners ALWAYS but way to muct effort into selecting an SLR body maybe because the specs are fun to read, who knows My gues bis because they don't know anythig about lenses or optics. Many don't even know what an f-stop is. But really that is what matters

The big #1 HUGe difference between Nikon SLR bodies is if there is a built-in focus motor or not. Every other body feature is un-importent compared to that. The N90 has it the others don't

Why does this matter. no motor means that only certain lenses can be used and most of the best used lenses can't be used.

I'm serious about "it doesn't matter". If yu gave my a photo and asked me to guess, just by looking which SLR body was used there is no way I'd know. D40, D5000 or D200 I just could not tell by looking at the end product. But, many times I could gues the lens. An image made with a f/1.4 50mm lens vs the kit 18-55 or a 180 f/2.0. Pretty obvious difference that do show up in the prints.

To make a car analogy. Yes my BMW is nicer then you Honda but if yo measure them in any qualitative way, say by who gets to work faster then it don't matter, they are the same. So you do have the nicer camera but (1) that is not what matters and (2) both lack the most importent feature, a focus motor.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Is his name Ken Rockwell? Seriously though, the D5000 is newer, has a CMOS sensor instead of CCD, which is a bit better for larger sensors. I'd say it's a case of "don't want my friend to have better gear than me".

That's the first thing that came to mind for me too. For starters, the D5000 has the best dynamic range of any APS-C sensor (well, it has tested just shy of the Pentax K-x, but they are apparently the same sensor). The D40 doesn't even have Live View (which is very helpful for tripod work), and it is only a 6MP camera (which is quite limiting if you want to do any large printing or much cropping). The D40 also has no dust reduction system, whereas the D5000 does.

The list of differences is rather long. I'm not sure it's even really fair to compare these two cameras.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
I understand that the camera body nor the set up makes the photograph and it's more about the photographer and the lens.

Yes my BMW is nicer then you Honda

Thats kinda funny because i drive an Accord. Anyways no it wasn't rockwell. Maybe he was referring to the d40x which is a bit better still. Idk though i was just making sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks guys I can't wait to get the camera and start taking pictures. Ever since I thought about getting a camera I've started looking at things and thinking that would make a great picture. And now I am driving and I'm seeing things that I wouldn't pay much attention to and thinking that would make a beautiful shot. I'm really excited hopefully I'll get it tomorrow or more likely Friday. Can't wait ::D:D

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
The D5000 is obviously better, but the D40 is totally fine and more than adequate as a first DSLR. D40 and a better lens wouldn't be a bad option.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
So I bought this through Amazon, well actually j and r , BUT i payed for 2 day air and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Does anyone know if I'll need to sign

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
Thanks guys got the camera and loving it I've shot a ton in the past few days and can't wait to shoot some more. Thanks agian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.