Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfie67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
I've just purchased the D40X and when i turned it on , set it to AUTO the view finder isnt working....before i go back to shop does anyone have any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong...:confused:

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I've just purchased the D40X and when i turned it on , set it to AUTO the view finder isnt working....before i go back to shop does anyone have any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong...:confused:

Are you referring to the optical viewfinder, or the display screen on the back of the camera? Are you aware that with a DSLR, you won't see anything on the screen until after you've taken a picture?

With the exception of a few models that have special 'live view' display modes, unlike point and shoot cameras most DSLRs only allow light through to the optical viewfinder, not simultaneously to the optical viewfinder and the sensor/display.

Otherwise if you're talking about the optical viewfinder, it could be a mechanical mirror lockup problem, in which case try shutting it off and on, otherwise bring it back to the store...

Cheers, Colin.

McCord9

Suspended
Mar 5, 2003
New York City
Viewfinder?

If you are very new to SLRs (I'm guessing you might be from buying a D40x, although it's a great camera,) you might be mistaking the LCD screen for the viewfinder, in which case you wouldnt see the picture you want to take on the LCD screen, but instead have to look through the eyepiece (the hole that looks at the mirror that reflects whats coming through the prism from the lens.

If you aren't new and are talking about the eyepiece being screwed up and not working, then I would check your diopter setting, the small little switch right next to the eyepiece you can adjust.

If you could be a little more specific about the "vewfinder" and how it is not working I think I could have a better idea of how to help...

Haha, I had the same thoughts as you Colin, only 2 minutes later. I think a more specific posting of the issue would really clear things up.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have a feeling that someone didn't ask pre-sales questions and hasn't read the manual.

Did you remove the lens cap?

wolfie67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
"I have a feeling that someone didn't ask pre-sales questions and hasn't read the manual.

Did you remove the lens cap?"

LMAO....yeah lens cap is off...

Thx for the getting back to me guys,

It's the LCD screen thats not coming on....so is that whats suppose to happen? I've just up graded from the Cannon ixus and it's LCD just came on and i used that to focus and take the picture...:eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
"I have a feeling that someone didn't ask pre-sales questions and hasn't read the manual.

It's the LCD screen thats not coming on....so is that whats suppose to happen? I've just up graded from the Cannon ixus and it's LCD just came on and i used that to focus and take the picture...:eek:

You didn't do research on this before buying the camera, apparently. Olympus is the only company providing low cost digital SLRs with Live View. The E-410 is about the same price point and size but has Live View.

So, you now have to learn to use a true optical viewfinder. :) You'll learn soon enough.

Jan 30, 2006
Using the Viewfinder is much better than the LCD screen. You'll get to love it after a couple of days.:)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

SLRs use optical view finders. That's why you paid the big bucks, so you don't have to look at "pixels". You get the "infinite resolution" viewfinder image with absolutely zero lag time. The viewfinder is just your eyeball looking through the same lens that will take the final picture. No digital sensor between your eye and the subject

There is no live image on the LCD. The LCD is for review after you shoot and for the menu system.

The E-410 is about the same price point and size but has Live View.

The problem with a live view on an SLR is that the only way to make it happen is to use a semi-transparent mirror. This robs (or "divides" the light) light from the optical viewfinder. So you really don't want this feature. Bette to have a brighter viewfinder.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The problem with a live view on an SLR is that the only way to make it happen is to use a semi-transparent mirror. This robs (or "divides" the light) light from the optical viewfinder. So you really don't want this feature. Bette to have a brighter viewfinder.

If you're explaining it to me, save your breath. I don't care to use it but it seems to work just fine in the E-330/DMC-L1 with the dual sensor input and those people I know who have the E-410 or E-510 seem to be adapting quite nicely however it works.

If you're explaining it to the original poster, he might not care since he bought the D40x expecting it to have Live View.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
There are a handful of times when a LCD "live view" could've been handy for me - but only if the LCD also pivoted, like one of the Coolpix cameras. Occasionally I've had to shoot photos that required me to hold my camera over my head. Fortunately my aim guesses were reasonably good.

But just to join in explaining this to death, SLRs got their name (Single Lens Reflex) specifically because, unlike lower-end 35mm etc. cameras, your viewfinder view is using the same lens and light as what will be exposed to the film, er sensor, when you depress the shutter. Back in the old days before auto-focus this was important because you needed to be able to see whether your image was being focussed correctly as you manually adjusted the lens - point and shoot cameras tended to use tricks like using small apertures so that everything at any distance was always (more or less) in focus.

Nowadays a lot of people get low-end dSLRs and treat them like a glorified point-and-shoot. There isn't anything wrong with that - certainly just having the larger sensor (compared to a compact camera) will probably result in better pictures. In that case not having a live view LCD might be considered a small liability (although you can certainly see things better in the viewfinder than on an LCD, especially in bright light). But as you learn more about photography and begin to try new things, you will find that the through the lens viewfinder is a BIG advantage.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
You will love the camera. I just got the D40x kit about two weeks ago and have taken many pictures and I am absolutely loving the camera. I did have the same reaction as you when I first took it out...I was like whats going on why isn't the screen showing me the picture...I didnt like the fact that it didnt show you a live view but I soon got used to it...Plus I figure it made me look more like a pro by putting it up to my eye:p.....I'm far far far away from pro status, but others dont know that....:D:p Untell they see me shooting into the sun,hahah. Anyways you will love the camera.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
If it's any consolation, I have a Panasonic dslr with live view and I never want to use it. It clicks a zillion times before actually taking the image and your subject has already scattered back under the rock or whatever... You're not missing anything.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.