Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
Hi all.

I was set to buy a D50 body (not a kit), but my local camera shop didn't have any D50s at all. One salesperson told me me they would be out of stock for an unknown amount of time and that they were possibly discontinued, though she was unsure about this and I hadn't heard anything about it. The in-house Nikon Guy™ said something along the lines of, "officially, it's not discontinued, but practicality-wise..." and he didn't say anything after that. I was a little surprised about this since I've heard nothing but good things about the D50 (and it's not too old). He was really busy with some other customers, so I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

I then took my search online...

B&H is out of the body-only setup, so Penn Camera looked promising and I placed the order Thursday night. Yesterday I got an e-mail telling me the D50 would be out of stock for 6-8 weeks. Is all of this a coincidence, or does this have anything to do with the upcoming Photokina show? I was thinking about trying another local shop, but should I "take a hint" about why several shops are stocking possibly limited supplies of the D50? I need photokinarumors.com!:D I know the D50 is a little older now, but I really don't want to plonk down the cash for a D80 and I don't want anything lesser than a D50 if such a product is announced soon. Now I don't know if I should wait for 9/26 or continue my search or get on a waiting list. :confused:

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
*shrugs*

Photokina is right around the corner and there are whispers of a D50 replacement. Possibly the 's' model.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Clix Pix said:
Actually, with the D80 just having released and having quite a few similarities to the D50, I'd be very surprised if Nikon is going to issue a D50s as well....

Actually I'd call it being even more likely, as they'd want to get rid of that last group of nonstandard parts now. plus the D50 is now pretty old- released with the D70S in april-ish 2005. The D50 is due for at least an -S update, if not more. I'd expect an improved or replacement model pretty soon, which would also fit in with some comments that have come out of nikon officials recently.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple Hobo said:
Hi all.

I was set to buy a D50 body (not a kit), but my local camera shop didn't have any D50s at all. One salesperson told me me they would be out of stock for an unknown amount of time and that they were possibly discontinued, though she was unsure about this and I hadn't heard anything about it. The in-house Nikon Guy™ said something along the lines of, "officially, it's not discontinued, but practicality-wise..."

Nikon has said that they are trying to get their entry level DSLRs in an 18 month product development cycle. This means that Nikon's goal is to release a new entry level body every 18 months. The D50 is well past 18 moths old and "due" for an upgrade. Nikn has almost always called their updats an "s". So expect a D50s. Big camera show in Germal at the end of this month so the timming is about right.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ChrisA said:
Nikon has said that they are trying to get their entry level DSLRs in an 18 month product development cycle. This means that Nikon's goal is to release a new entry level body every 18 months. The D50 is well past 18 moths old and "due" for an upgrade. Nikn has almost always called their updats an "s". So expect a D50s. Big camera show in Germal at the end of this month so the timming is about right.

Good points.

At least here in the US we are being told that the D50 and D70s are BOTH current models, along side the the newer D80 and D200 models.

Photokina in Germany is just around the corner.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
Oh well...might as well wait another week to see what happens next Tuesday.

Any thoughts about what a D50s might cost vs. the current D50 prices? Since I wasn't camera shopping when the D70s came out, I don't remember what the differences were vs. the D70.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Apple Hobo said:
Oh well...might as well wait another week to see what happens next Tuesday.

Any thoughts about what a D50s might cost vs. the current D50 prices? Since I wasn't camera shopping when the D70s came out, I don't remember what the differences were vs. the D70.

If there is an 's' model, it will sell for the same price as the D50's initial price. The D50 price will be discontinued and some places will mark it down. The same thing happened with the D2X -> D2Xs and D70 -> D70s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.