Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Impulse29

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I noticed that when I have PTP selected on my D50, that when the camera is attached to my mac, it doesn't display the "PC" on the top LCD. When I use Mass Storage, it does appear. I'm not sure if this is what it should do, but I could swear that it once said PC. Could anyone check with their D50 (just attach it to a computer using the PTP [which is what you should use anyway] and tell me if it says 'PC' on the top LCD)

Nikon's support didn't know, and they want me to send it in, but if it's doing something funky, it's likely firmware and not hardware.

Thanks!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
just attach it to a computer using the PTP [which is what you should use anyway]

Actually, the manual for my D70 says I can use either Mass Storage or PTP. I've always used Mass Storage, and it works as expected.

But just now I switched it to PTP, and while the file transfer worked just fine... the little "PC" is indeed missing. However that's exactly the way the manual says it should be; so I'm not clear on why this is a problem. :D

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
It doesn't say "PC" on the top LCD in PTP mode so that you can still effectively use the camera when you want to shoot in tethered mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.