Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake.f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
NSW, Australia
Hi all,
Im a looking to get a DSLR and after I realised the Canon EOS 500D was a bit out of my price range I thought of the Nikon D60.. It would be my first DSLR. I know it doesn't have an AF motor and you have to buy lenses with one but this shouldn't be to much of a problem because i only would be buying a few lenses. Also it does not have live view. After spending some time using my friends a300 I realised i would never use it. The kit im looking at comes with the 18-55 VR Lens. I would most probably be looking at it from here:
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2398.htm
That is in my price range. Also I would be looking at a Telephoto lens later on and i found this one:
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2369.htm
I know that this lens doesn't have and Image Stabilizer but the only time i would be using it a 300mm would be taking photos in daylight and i would almost never use it in low light, and if i did I would get a tripod.

Anyway if anyone has any other recommendations for either camera or Telephoto lens please post. I will be going into camera house later today to try out the D60 and 18-55 VR and to also see if they can give me a better price.

Thanks

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
im a d60 owner. looking back at this. i wished i purchased a d90 for a few hundred more. more choices of lenses. non af-s lenses:mad:

OCSpersonel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
i agree, get the D90 if you can or look at the D5000, not sure the specs but is new so there gona have good deals on it

Dman77

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
London, UK
The D60 will be perfect for you if you're not fussed about the internal motor. I bought one and love it, got a 55-200mm lens for it and have taken some lovely shots.

It's a great piece of kit for the money in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.