Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Ok so I know there are lots of threads asking which camera to get but I just want some input on this decision. I am thinking of either getting
this Nikon D60 kit with bonus 55-200mm lens and extra battery $750
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=pcmprd109600050000
or this Canon XSi kit $750
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...n+xsi&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1205537713445

Both are $750 but the nikon comes with a zoom lens and extra battery is there any reason why I should go for the canon instead? is it worth not getting the lens? Thanks for the input.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, that is real bargain you got there. If it's me, then go for it. There are a few downsides of owning a D60 but at the package you are getting, I'll forgot all the downside.

But it comes to this though, how serious are you about photography? Are you planning to invest into accessories, lens and etc eventhough these things does not come cheap cause if you do, then I say it is important for you to look beyond these and see the whole camera brand lineup like do you like the lens selection and etc.

mdo574

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
D60

Wow, that is real bargain you got there. If it's me, then go for it. There are a few downsides of owning a D60 but at the package you are getting, I'll forgot all the downside.

But it comes to this though, how serious are you about photography? Are you planning to invest into accessories, lens and etc eventhough these things does not come cheap cause if you do, then I say it is important for you to look beyond these and see the whole camera brand lineup like do you like the lens selection and etc.

Check out the nikon D5000 : http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25452/D5000.html

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
thanks for all the help so far. Photography is just a hobby for me right now, I'm a videographer and hope to become more serious into photography down the road. Would Nikon continue to fit my needs if I start doing some proffesional work?(with an upgraded body and more lenses) Or is canon a better choice for the long term. Once I get the camera I will start getting lenses that will lock me ink the brand so I'm trying to make an educated decision.

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
I'm the "thread starter" of the D90 vs. XSi thread... and FWIW, if I had to choose between the D60 and the XSi, it would be the XSi hands down. No question. The D60 has several limitations in my view, not the least being the lack of AF in the body. I would almost get the D40 over the D60. And I really don't like the D5000 (the replacement). Additionally, I would consider the T1i (the replacement to the XSi), but the 15 MP makes me worry about noise and low-light shooting--must be a packed sensor. Hence, I would definitely choose the XSi over the D60.

That said, I really liked the D90, and hence my dilemma... although leaning towards the D90 at this point...

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I just picked up the Nikon D60 Kit(Body, 18-55, 55-200, Case, & DVD) for $649 at hhgregg. If you end up going that route, have Best Buy price match hhgreggs price. I used it yesterday and had a lot of fun. Which brings me to my dilemma. Keep it, or return it for the more expensive XSi, or the even more expensive 50D. I had more fun with it than I expected, and I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a better camera to start with, or be happy with the one I purchased.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
So after much research I've actually decided to go with the D5000. As a videographer it will be nice to have video, as limited as it may be, available to me at all times. Feel free to comment or criticize this choice it'll still be a few days till I go out and make my purchase.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ok so I know there are lots of threads asking which camera to get but I just want some input on this decision. I am thinking of either getting
this Nikon D60 kit with bonus 55-200mm lens and extra battery $750....

Many beginner think they want an f/5.6 200mm lens. It will not be as usful as you think. f/5.6 is slow and 200mm on a crop body is a long lens.

On the Nikon side a better deal is the D50 with the kit 18-55 lens, used for $350.

Whichever you buy it will serve as the foundation of a larger system and determine the brand of lens and upgrade bodies you will buy for many years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.