Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Having more or less decided on going for the D70s as the camera for my first adventure into dSLR, I've been thinking about whether I should save myself a bit of money by going for a second-hand D70/D70s (nowhere seems to stock new D70 any more), or play it safe and get a new D70s.

Two questions:
-Firstly, given that ebay has an abundance of D70 cameras, but less D70s, would I be missing out on much by not getting the revised model of the camera?
-Secondly, how risky is second-hand dSLR camera buying over ebay? If I get a duff camera, am I pretty much screwed? Has anyone had any bad experiences before?

Bear in mind that getting a second-hand camera could save me just under £200! (which could go towards some nice new lense...)

Thanks!

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Given the fact that the D70 can be flashed to have D70s's software, the only thing you'll be missing would be the larger LCD at most. The faster focusing system might or might not be fully because of the new firmware.

As for the safety of buying a used camera on ebay, I suppose you can risk it, as long as you make sure there's still some warranty left and that it's not stolen. I don't think you can get that much lens for that money, maybe a mid-end tele or some primes. But forget about the super-wides, they can run you up to over a grand. (oh so nice lens though). the spec lens for the D70/s is already pretty damn good for daily walkabouts, so it might not be necessary to upgrade it as quickly (ie. buy a brand new one).

:) Either way, they're both great cameras.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
jared_kipe said:
For me, I'd never settle on a camera that can't shoot down to iso100. So the D50/70's don't appeal to me.

Well, unfortunately with my budget I don't have much choice :(

Ryan1524 said:
Given the fact that the D70 can be flashed to have D70s's software, the only thing you'll be missing would be the larger LCD at most. The faster focusing system might or might not be fully because of the new firmware.

As for the safety of buying a used camera on ebay, I suppose you can risk it, as long as you make sure there's still some warranty left and that it's not stolen. I don't think you can get that much lens for that money, maybe a mid-end tele or some primes. But forget about the super-wides, they can run you up to over a grand. (oh so nice lens though). the spec lens for the D70/s is already pretty damn good for daily walkabouts, so it might not be necessary to upgrade it as quickly (ie. buy a brand new one).

Either way, they're both great cameras.

Well, having looked on ebay further, the difference between the two models is only on average about £30, so I may as well go with the D70s.

Yeah, I know that £200 won't get me a great lense, I meant more that I could put it towards a pricier lense. Or I could buy myself some software (I've been dying to get into Photoshop for a while). Either way, saving £200 is better than not saving £200 :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jared_kipe said:
I think you can be happy without the D70s. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp

The only differences are a very slightly bigger LCD and a slightly bigger frame buffer right?

For me, I'd never settle on a camera that can't shoot down to iso100. So the D50/70's don't appeal to me.

Add to that the ability to use a wired remote vs. an I remote.

Check your local dealer. My shop just got a shipment of "refurb" D70s's for just $575 for the body.

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
FleurDuMal said:
Having more or less decided on going for the D70s as the camera for my first adventure into dSLR, I've been thinking about whether I should save myself a bit of money by going for a second-hand D70/D70s (nowhere seems to stock new D70 any more), or play it safe and get a new D70s.

Two questions:
-Firstly, given that ebay has an abundance of D70 cameras, but less D70s, would I be missing out on much by not getting the revised model of the camera?
-Secondly, how risky is second-hand dSLR camera buying over ebay? If I get a duff camera, am I pretty much screwed? Has anyone had any bad experiences before?

Bear in mind that getting a second-hand camera could save me just under £200! (which could go towards some nice new lense...)

Thanks!

i am in the same boat. i just decided to get a used d70s on craiglist ($400) and put any saved money towards a nice lens. i went for the 18-200 ($700) to cover the whole range. i figure i will use it for a while and sell it once i know where i shoot the most. the 18-70 kit lens is just wonderful though, so feel very comfortable getting that. about $200 used.

dont worry about the small detail difference of the cameras between nikon and canon, or between the d50 and d70 or d70s. get what you can at a good price, by the best glass you can afford. by the time it is your camera holding you back instead of your skill, you can buy a much better fancier cheaper rig. just get one asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.