Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
This is not a newb question, so hear me out to the end por favor :)

I'm on the fence between a Nikon D70 and a Canon 20D. I'm going over every aspect of them and doing research trying to sway my mind one way or the other. I'm not asking for you guys to help with that so much ;-)

The internet is chalk full of reviews, statistics, and opinions on the camera its self. However a question I would like to pose to the Macintosh community isn't about how well they handle Macs, as getting a picture from any camera to OSX is a breeze, but in what other special uses might one camera have over the other.

For Example: Cool 3rd party software, software/firmware modification, Ability to remotely operate the camera from a GUI interface on a Mac. Those are just examples of things that the community here might be aware of, and perhaps it is known if one camera or the other caters more to those extracurricular activities, and if one can use OSX to do them.

Thanks in Advance guys! And if I can clarify my question any better please let me know.

~Earendil
~Tyler

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm a long time Nikon fan but I will not suggest one or the other.

What you really should be looking at are the Lenses. Think about
the set of lens you want to have two, and five years from now.
The bodies are "cheap" compared to a set of good glass. Also
the digital body will need to be replaced out upgraded every five
or so years but Lenses do not become obsolite and last decades.

For example _every_ Nikon owners wants the 80-200 f/2.8 lens
Canon makes one like too. Nikon makes a 70-200 VR f/2.8 also
for more money. Which of these do you want. Maybe you really
like one of the Canon Wide angls or you might want to new Nikon
10.5 fisheye? Then look at the strobes

In the Nikon world look at the D50. You will do better buying the D50
and putting the savings into more and better lenses. Camera don't
make pictures all they do is record the image that the lens projects
onto the sensor. Lenses make pictures choose family of optics
then buy a body.

As for software. Nikon is abut to release "NX". This will replace
"Nikon Capture" (aka "NC") NX will have some Photoshop like
features where you can select parts of the image and apply correctionsand filters selectivly. NX may compete with Aperture and Lightroom.

I think going the Nikon route you can get some quality lenses and a
digital body at lower total cost. Canon charges a lot for those L-series
lenses. But then Canon has some nice features. On the other end of the
range Canon's low-end glass is not so good as Nikon's low end line.
Ok one could argue but I'm really just trying to say to look at more than
the bdy.

Nikon's older film camera even going back to the late 60's use the same
lens mount as today's DSLR. Don't know if you'd ever want a machanical
film body but if you did it could work with new lens

Earendil said:
This is not a newb question, so hear me out to the end por favor :)

I'm on the fence between a Nikon D70 and a Canon 20D. I'm going over every aspect of them and doing research trying to sway my mind one way or the other. I'm not asking for you guys to help with that so much ;-)
~Tyler

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
As far as I know there are no Mac specific features. There is an OSX application that lets you control the camera via USB though.

Anyway, quite frankly the D70 isn't in the same league as the 20D. The 20D is a vastly superior camera. Ok maybe vastly is a bit far.

EDIT: Oh and I seriously doubt he'll be running out and buying any "L" lenses or anything that is costly like that on nikon's side. People talk about how expensive L lenses are but nikon is JUST as expensive for similar hardware. For instance there is virtually no difference in price between the Canon 70-200mm IS and nikkor 70-200mm VR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
jared_kipe said:
EDIT: Oh and I seriously doubt he'll be running out and buying any "L" lenses or anything that is costly like that on nikon's side. People talk about how expensive L lenses are but nikon is JUST as expensive for similar hardware. For instance there is virtually no difference in price between the Canon 70-200mm IS and nikkor 70-200mm VR.

Yes you are right. But Nikon has the 80-200 f/2.8 in many versions some good examples are available for about $600. and Yes I thougt is was odd the compare 20D to d70s I'd think someone looking at the 20D would be also looking at the Nikon D200

I don't think he has given us enough info yet. Like what's the total budget and how will the camera be used I wonder why the Rebel is not being concidered.

I think today with DSLRs you have to think of a digital body as being like a large pack of film that you use up and replace. No one will want a D70 or a 20D in 10 years.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I can't think of any Mac specific features for any camera whatsoever, but get the one that feels good in your hands.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be either Nikon or Canon. Look at others. Some have great features built-in that aren't in the Nikon or Canon line.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I believe I was a bit misunderstood, but I understand that you are all trying to perhaps get a feature-hound to look at the glass instead of the body. I'm aware bodies come and go, but I need to move to a DSLR, and my first body should be of reasonable quality.

However, as I stated, I did NOT come here to get Professional Photographers opinons on Nikon vs Canon, as I am familiar enough with that whole debate :rolleyes:

What I am asking for is this: are there things that a Mac user can take advantage of on one platform, that they can't on the other? And, are people aware of the future compatibility of those extended unadvertised features? I come more for a computer enthusiast point of view on the matter. I'm currently working on a BS in Computer Science, so you understand how I might be curious about this little aspect.
Thanks to those that have started to answer this question already. I wasn't aware of the NX software coming.
Jared> you mention software to control the camera via USB. Which camera are you talking about, and are you aware of the name of the software?

That said, I'm fully aware of the lens vs body issue. I know enough about the Nikon and Canon lenses to say that NOT every Nikon owner wants the 80-200 /2.8, however, every Nikon owner DOES wants the 70-200 / 2.8 VR. I've used it many many times and it is an amazing lens. :)

Okay, more info so that I'm not misunderstood.

I've been shooting for 5 years now, but only in the last 2 would I call myself a photographer. Also in the last two years I've shot for our college paper. Last year I was hired as the Photo editor for the paper, which has a staff of 12 photographers.

My shots of choice are action. Birds are how I got started, and from there I enjoy creating still images of things that people don't often times see as such.

I've only had a handful of paid jobs, and they range from engagement pictures (no weddings yet!) to ariel photography(nothing like hanging nice glass out a window with nothing but a thousand feet of air below it).

I'm well versed in the D70, as that is what the photo department at my school uses, and what I have been using for the past year to ease my DSLR woes. This has not, however, made be disregard Canon, and I have explored and continue to explore that route.

I respect the advice of starting with a D50 and going for the extra glass. However my opinion on the D50 and Digital Rebel, both from reviews and my own person use, is that they are a bit too "consumer" for me, and not "prosumer" enough. They feel cheap and don't offer the control and handling I want. Obviously where a person is standing in photography will change how this description is applied to the lower end DSLR's of today.

As far as D70 vs 20D vs 200D, I would say that they don't compare well across the boards to each other.

I am down to the D70 and the 20D because they are in a similar price bracket. You are talking a D70 with a decent kit lens in the ballpark of 1100, and the 20D only a few hundred over that. The Nikon 200D, while a beautiful camera that I think exceeds the Canon 20D, is something that you pay to get. At 1700 the 200D is not something I can plunk down the change for at this time. Maybe in 5 years, aye? ;)

But enough about me, how about my original question first, and then we can BS later about my own opinions.

Cheers,
~Tyler

Note: Anyone wanting to start a Nikon vs Canon debate can please go look elsewhere. There are plenty of already written threads to go view and fill a flamers delight with.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Tyler - I'll leave it to you to ferret out the camera specific capabilities (ISO characteristics, on Camera connection options for cables of various sorts, etc.), but in general both Canon and Nikon seem to make use of similar features and software - going to be able use lightroom, aperture, photoshop obviously for both. For a little while there was some concern over Nikon WB encryption being only decoded by Nikon software but I believe Nikon addressed this and said it wasn't the case/not going to be the case.

You might find the aperture QT profiles interesting if you haven't seen them already - one Canon, Nikon and medium format shooter each profiled with their use of the software. http://www.apple.com/aperture/profiles/

The other are of the Apple site that may be useful is the pro features section:
http://www.apple.com/pro/ - which has profiles of professionals using Macs and how they use them in music, video, photography. Check out the archive: http://www.apple.com/pro/archive/ - there are several photo profile features each year and they go back to 2002.

By the way - check out the 30D (what I went with) - I think you'll like the larger LCD, speed options (5fps, 3fps, and single shot), and picture styles (Canon's way of trying to provide the characteristics of various films, which you can tweek and download new files for as well). Keep in mind that good ISO performance can help you use telephoto lenses to stop the action - e.g., like these with 1 100-400 5.6 lens at ISO 1250 http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/more-elephants.shtml.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.