Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
My D70s recently was the victim of a horrible horrible accident... it's user, me, set it down and just as I let go it slipped and fell. The shutter is not opening and the Err code now displays :( Searches on the subject give me an estimate of around 250-300 dollars for repair. The repair costs, based on my searching, are higher then the D70s's value.

My current options are this: D40, D60 or D80. My research is pointing towards the D80 as being the closets to my D70s yet still being an upgrade. Can anyone make an argument as to why going with either of the other options would be better? The D90 is not an option as I was not in the market for a camera... no cash. The D80 right now is lower the then D60 is price so I think that rules out the D60.

Feedback would be welcome!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My D70s recently was the victim of a horrible horrible accident... it's user, me, set it down and just as I let go it slipped and fell. The shutter is not opening and the Err code now displays :( Searches on the subject give me an estimate of around 250-300 dollars for repair. The repair costs, based on my searching, are higher then the D70s's value.

My current options are this: D40, D60 or D80. My research is pointing towards the D80

The other option is to buy a used D50 or D70. Both are about the same price the D50 is slightly cleaner color and less noise. I'd go with the D80.

The other two the d40 and d60 both lack the in-body focus motor that is present on the d70s. That is a major feature that I would not want to loose.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
The other option is to buy a used D50 or D70. Both are about the same price the D50 is slightly cleaner color and less noise. I'd go with the D80.

The other two the d40 and d60 both lack the in-body focus motor that is present on the d70s. That is a major feature that I would not want to loose.

I didn't consider the D50... will have to go read about it. Thanks! I agree about not wanting to lose the focus motor. I have a AF Micro 60mm and although I do usually manual focus it is nice to know that I can auto focus when needed.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
What lenses do you own? What do you shoot? Can I have your broken camera?

I am not 100% sure as to what I will do with the D70s... I would love to get it fixed but everything that I have read has suggested that the repair is to be greater then the camera's overall value. I saw D70s going for 200-250 and the quote that I have for the repair is between 250 and 300. I might still send it to Nikon for a true estimate.

I use mostly AF-S lenses but have 1 Micro 60mm, which I do use a lot. I am keeping all my lenses.

I mostly do portraits and work for exhibition (art). I don't do much in terms of commercial work.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/628645/

Coincidence? Since you already have a camera I'd even just sell the body to you for even cheaper.

Zack

The D60 lacks the focusing motors... right? plus the D80 is only a hundred more new at B&H and I have an 18-70mm lens... non-VR but I am really comfortable with the 18-70mm. Ah... body only less money... hmm... I will still pass but it is very tempting, best of luck with your sale.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Eee! I just realized something... my batteries won't work with the D40 or D60 so buying extra batteries would add to my expense.. plus I have multiple chargers which would also go to waste. I also do wireless flash work with me SB-800 and that is a no go for the D40.... Going with the D80, I know it will be a wise/good purchase.

Thanks again.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I am not 100% sure as to what I will do with the D70s... I would love to get it fixed but everything that I have read has suggested that the repair is to be greater then the camera's overall value. I saw D70s going for 200-250 and the quote that I have for the repair is between 250 and 300. I might still send it to Nikon for a true estimate.

I've always wanted to take a DSLR apart, so keep me in mind if you're not gonna fix it!

I use mostly AF-S lenses but have 1 Micro 60mm, which I do use a lot. I am keeping all my lenses.

Then the D80 is likely your best bet. Make sure your insurance or credit card stuff doesn't cover the D70 before you get one though.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
I've had the same problem with a D70s. While cleaning the camera I accidentaly touched and wrapped the "curtain" - screen that protects the sensor. After that the shutter wouldn't open and I got the Err code.

I fixed the problem by twisting the screen back into shape and eventually the shutter would open and close.

Maybe your problem is worse because you dropped the camera.
Have you try to open the shutter screen and looked into the sensor area/ mechanics ??

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Definitely buy the D80. Its very, very cheap (as little as $450 new) and has all the features your D70 does, plus a better sensor, better screen and lots more bells 'n whistles.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
I've had the same problem with a D70s. While cleaning the camera I accidentaly touched and wrapped the "curtain" - screen that protects the sensor. After that the shutter wouldn't open and I got the Err code.

I fixed the problem by twisting the screen back into shape and eventually the shutter would open and close.

Maybe your problem is worse because you dropped the camera.
Have you try to open the shutter screen and looked into the sensor area/ mechanics ??

Hmm... similar to my issue. The curtain appears to be stuck, did your shutter stick as a result? I don't see sending this back to Nikon now that I have a D80 on the way but I might take a look... going to have to wait till the wife is not around, she would have a fit if I fixed it. I am going to assume, or at lest it is what I am going to let myself believe for now, that the issue is more serious because I dropped it.

I will report back once I have poked around.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Good riddance... I despise my D70, it constantly gives me a CHA error, even after I paid Nikon $200 to repair it.

D80 is the logical step. If you don't want that, D40 is the next best for value.

D60 only if you really care about the minor weight difference... I don't think there are too many other major differences, especially with the great prices you can get on a used D40.

Knomad

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
North Coast, California
Your 60mm macro will not have full functions with the D40, and probably not with the D60. The entry-level bodies pretty much only meter with the DX-format lenses.

While I'm not very familiar with the consumer line, I can say from personal experience that the improvements from the D100 to the D300 are amazing, the technology has come a long way, the newer sensors render color better and do a better job with white balance, and some of the early problems have been fixed. If the advances from D70 to D80 have been even half as profound, I'd strongly urge going with the D80 over the other choices.

This may be beyond what you need, but in the interest of providing full information there are still some discontinued but brand new D200 bodies out there in the $900-1000 range. The primary advantages are the better/brighter viewfinder, the metal body, and the ability to meter with older manual focus lenses (which are available for extremely reasonable prices used).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The entry-level bodies pretty much only meter with the DX-format lenses.

You are mistaken, they only autofocus with AF-S or AF-I lenses, the DX lenses have nothing to do with functionality just image circle. A D40 will meter with most lenses with a CPU in them, including all the AF-D lenses, it just doesn't have an in-body focus motor, so it will only AF with lenses that have a built-in motor. Only AI-P lenses won't meter on a D40 out of all the automatic metering lenses.

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.