Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
i'm planning to get the nikon d80 + nikon 18-200mm VR +nikon f/1.8 50mm... well ,the 18-200 is on order through Camera Wholesalers, (they shipped out the day i placed order for 750, no tax.. if anyone wants one call now) (or if anyone has review of this place, it'd reassure me about this seller)

is there anything else i should know before getting this setup?

i know i need to get SD, but is there recommendation, as in, how different are they really, i'm planning on getting 1GB or 2GB

any comment is appreciated!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Go to dpreview D80 forum and search for "D80 exposure".

Maybe you could try this if you have issues, but I am not sure.

This page is maybe better, at least to get you started.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Go to dpreview D80 forum and search for "D80 exposure".

Maybe you could try this if you have issues, but I am not sure.

what's wrong with d80's explosure?

that link is in a language i dont understand:p

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some people say Matrix metering on the D80 is inconsistent and that maybe the fault is with a new tone curve, and that maybe loading a custom tone curve would solve the issue.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Here is a little explanation in English of the French curve, as well as a link to a page of a discussion (in French) where there are some results posted (as well as a link to an article in English comparing D80 and 400D).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
according to our friend ken
ken said:
The Microtech is the pig at this party. It's the only card I've ever used which has ever lost data. It's why I no longer consider cards made by anyone other than SanDisk and Lexar, the two top brands.

do those of you who use SD then think i should try to stick with sandisk and lexar as much as possible?

does the sandisk SD extreme iii 2GB justify for its $100 price tag?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I read about people with compatibility issues with SanDisk and Lexar which would be unpredictable apparently because one would never be sure what brand of memory they would use in the card you got. I don't know, maybe all that is over. I almost bought some fast SanDisk anyway later.

I got Panasonic Pro High Speed (20 MB/s) originally, but then I bought some no-name cards while traveling because the PPHS was so expensive there and was shooting JPEG and not in bursts (but some did feel SLOW anyway).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yay, another Bearbo thread. :eek:

I don't really know the point of this thread, but if you're looking for more advice, I guess the only advice I can give is to have 2 memory cards rather than 1 big card. So I'd rather have two 1 GB cards than a 2 GB card, in case one fails.

I also wouldn't listen to Ken Rockwell too closely about anything, especially reviews on camera gear. He's OK on non-review related stuff, but still.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
according to our friend ken

do those of you who use SD then think i should try to stick with sandisk and lexar as much as possible?

does the sandisk SD extreme iii 2GB justify for its $100 price tag?

Brand does not matter. There are no moving parts inside. Everyone buys the same flash RAM from the same manufactures and repackages and markets it at various price points. Bottom line it's all good stuff and it all works. I've seen 1GB SD cards at Fry's for as low as $9.00 after rebate.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'll say that memory cards are probably a lot like RAM for computers........it almost doesn't matter what brand you get. Since Samsung makes most of the world's RAM and many companies just buy Samsung RAM and repackage it and sell it for cheaper, it matters very little which brand you purchase, although Micron and Kingston RAM is better than generic RAM, and they likely make their own.

With memory cards, I don't know who makes them. However, I'm quite sure that there are only 3-4 makers of memory cards in this world, and most companies just buy from these 3-4 makers. Heck, maybe the semi-generic memory card company that made a particular memory card actually buys their memory from Lexar, but repackages it and sells it for less because they don't have the brand recognition and reputation. :confused:

:eek:

i'll keep my postings under control

Haha, just keep the number of threads under control. I think we've seen a new thread for every thought and every concern. ;) But hey, now you don't need a thread about memory cards because you have this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.