Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zieg3rman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Oregon
I just got back from the Shutterbug in Portland, OR and the sales rep said that Nikon is lowing the price tomorrow by $200 for the D80. I went to hold the D40 to see if it fits my hand and ask wether I should get the D60 for a beginner camera. He said no because the D80 is going to be the same price as the D60 as of tomorrow. I have been working all summer so I could afford a dslr before I go back to college in 3 weeks. I am really excited because I might actually be able to afford a D80! Just thought I would share that. And if anyone was interested in buying a D80...wait till tomorrow :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..the sales rep said that Nikon is lowing the price tomorrow by $200 for the D80.

So if the D80 comes down to the D60 price what will the D60 sell for? They can't let the D60 be less than the D40. So what's the D40 going to be $299? I doubt the price cuts will be that steep. But with the D90 at $1,000 The D80 will have to be either discounted or discontinued.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
The D80 is on sale at ritz for $800 with a lens I believe. Still, I can't imagine anyone not springing for the d90 for just a little more. Save up the last bit, even if you can't afford the kit, get the d90 and a 50mm.

Zieg3rman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Oregon
So if the D80 comes down to the D60 price what will the D60 sell for? They can't let the D60 be less than the D40. So what's the D40 going to be $299? I doubt the price cuts will be that steep. But with the D90 at $1,000 The D80 will have to be either discounted or discontinued.

I am just quoting what the guy behind the counter told me. He mentioned that Nikon wanted to sell all of their D80's by christmas. And from what he said, there is no real reason to buy the D60. I asked him if the D40 was going to get a price cut, and he said no. He was reading all the information off of a printed sheet and the computer. Either way, if there is a price drop tomorrow, I am ordering one! YAY!

Zieg3rman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Oregon
The D80 is on sale at ritz for $800 with a lens I believe. Still, I can't imagine anyone not springing for the d90 for just a little more. Save up the last bit, even if you can't afford the kit, get the d90 and a 50mm.

I could only find it selling for $900 with the 18-135. If everyone just springs just a little bit more then we would all own D3's...I am already going to spend almost half of what I earned over the summer working in a grocery store on the D80. Full time at minimum doesn't get you much :'(

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
I could only find it selling for $900 with the 18-135. If everyone just springs just a little bit more then we would all own D3's...I am already going to spend almost half of what I earned over the summer working in a grocery store on the D80. Full time at minimum doesn't get you much :'(

Yeah, but I think you'll appreciate your reward so much more. Congratulations!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A D80 for $520?

I am just quoting what the guy behind the counter told me. He mentioned that Nikon wanted to sell all of their D80's by christmas....

I don't doubt that he told you there would be a $200 drop.

Right now B&H sells the D80 body for $720. If it is listed at any reputable reseller for $520 I'll sell my D50 body for $325 and order a D80. Anyone want a D50? At $325 it is both better and cheaper then a D40.

About having to save up all summer for a camera. I did the same thing when I bought my first SLR. I was in the 8th grade and was able to do odd jobs for my grandfather's construction company for $2/hour. That was a "few" decades ago.

Zieg3rman

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Oregon
I don't doubt that he told you there would be a $200 drop.

Right now B&H sells the D80 body for $720. If it is listed at any reputable reseller for $520 I'll sell my D50 body for $325 and order a D80. Anyone want a D50? At $325 it is both better and cheaper then a D40.

About having to save up all summer for a camera. I did the same thing when I bought my first SLR. I was in the 8th grade and was able to do odd jobs for my grandfather's construction company for $2/hour. That was a "few" decades ago.

He said they would be selling the camera for the same price as the D60 starting tomorrow. Not every retailer will lower the price by $200. I think he was talking $200 from the MSRP. MSRP on the Nikon site is $800. He said $600. I am taking a trip back to Portland tomorrow to pick up a ridiculously cheap D80 :D

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Makin room for the D90s. Guess they are going to just sell out all the stock of the D80 and discontinue it.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

sweet camera,kudos' on going after something you want, and actually earning it, without using "plastic". Good job, you'll be a success in life;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.