Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I bought a Nikon D80 in China during a trip for a very reasonable price (with kit lense it was approx. £400 cheaper than UK price), and before I go any futher, it has to be said that the camera itself is brilliant, when it comes to the camera itself and the pictures that come out of it. However, on my journey I shot around 1700 (1696 to be precise) pictures in RAW (.nef for all those Nikon camera buffs). The problem is that these RAW image files are incompatible with Aperture, of which I am a proud user. Is there any free (or reasonably inexpensive) software that can either convert all these RAW files to Jpeg until Aperture is updated, other than the bundeld software as I am on intel and thus is dog slow. Or better yet is there any photo editing software that will work with these RAWs for a reasonable price(£150-£200)?

Sorry for any bad spelling/grammar, I have just got off my flight from Shanghai to London and I am seriously jetlaged :eek:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I bought a Nikon D80 in China during a trip for a very reasonable price (with kit lense it was approx. £400 cheaper than UK price), and before I go any futher, it has to be said that the camera itself is brilliant, when it comes to the camera itself and the pictures that come out of it. However, on my journey I shot around 1700 (1696 to be precise) pictures in RAW (.nef for all those Nikon camera buffs). The problem is that these RAW image files are incompatible with Aperture, of which I am a proud user. Is there any free (or reasonably inexpensive) software that can either convert all these RAW files to Jpeg until Aperture is updated, other than the bundeld software as I am on intel and thus is dog slow. Or better yet is there any photo editing software that will work with these RAWs for a reasonable price(£150-£200)?

Sorry for any bad spelling/grammar, I have just got off my flight from Shanghai to London and I am seriously jetlaged :eek:

You can convert the NEF files using the software supplied with your camera. I think "picture Projectis is free and comes with the camera and they include a tail version of "Nikon Capure" with is much better. If not you can download fom the Nikon web site. "Capture" is free for 30 days and then I think $100 and you just might like it. There are other RAW converters one very good one is "bibble" (http://www.bibblelabs.com) and it has a 30 day free trail too. and a price arount $100 if you like it. Many people think that both of these programs make better conversions then Aperture. (They certainly offer better control of the process then Aperture does)

But you can save to a 16-bit TIFF file and import that to Aperture. This format preserves the color depth of the RAW file. If you save to JPG then Aperture and Photoshop can'r do as much. You will have to decide if you want need TIFF or JPG. It is a space trade off. The TIFF preserves the information inside the NEF file but is HUGE (like 100MB) but the JPG is compact.

So, your workflow would go first through either Bibble or Nikon Capture NX then from there you save as either JPG or TIFF and then import to Aperture. Many people would argue to keep this workflow even after Apple suports your camera.

Jesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
You can convert the NEF files using the software supplied with your camera. I think "picture Projectis is free and comes with the camera and they include a tail version of "Nikon Capure" with is much better. If not you can download fom the Nikon web site. "Capture" is, I think $100 and you jut might like it. There are other RAW converters one very good one is "bibble" (http://www.bibblelabs.com) and it has a 30 day free trail too. and a price arount $100 if you like it. Many people think that both of these programs make better conversions then Aperture. (They certainly offer better control of the process then Aperture does)

But you can save to a 16-bit TIFF file and import that to Aperture. This format preserves the color depth of the RAW file. If you save to JPG then Aperture and Photoshop can'r do as much. You will have to decide if you want need TIFF or JPG. It is a space trade off. The TIFF preserves the information inside the NEF file but is HUGE (like 100MB) but the JPG is compact.

So, your workflow would go first through either Bibble or Nikon Capture NX then from there you save as either JPG or TIFF and then import to Aperture. Many people would argue to keep this workflow even after Apple suports your camera.

Thanks, downloading now

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
NEFs are different for every camera model

Aperture doesn't do NEF's? That's news to me...

The format of the NEF file is different for every camera model. The whole point of "RAW" is that it is just "sensor data" that is yet to be converted into an image. So the format of the data is very closely tied to the camera's CCD sensor.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wonder if Adobe Lightroom Beta supports the Nikon D80. It's similar enough to Aperture, except with better editing and worse organization and feel (according to some people).

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
I convert all my nefs into DNG files using adobe dng convertor. If aperture supports DNG, this will work very well. I think you can convert all the images at one time.

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Just checked the aperture website and it says that the download for raw support for D80 is now available. Problem solved then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.