Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Just out of curiosity...

Has anyone used the Nikon D80 with the iPod Camera Connector? It is not on the officially supported list, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will be going on my honeymoon in January, and I do not want to lug a laptop with me.

Thanks,
Hickman

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Just out of curiosity...

Has anyone used the Nikon D80 with the iPod Camera Connector? It is not on the officially supported list, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will be going on my honeymoon in January, and I do not want to lug a laptop with me.

Thanks,
Hickman

I've used the D50 and it works absolutely fine for both .NEF & .JPEG files. Can't imagine the D80 would be any different.

In my experience, all the cameras I have used with it has worked fine. This includes, Fuji, Nikon Casio and Canon brands.

David

Lewis22

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
southwest MI
Yeah, I second the K100D?
anyone tried it yet?

if I had an iPod video/photo, i'd buy one and try it, but I dont have one yet.

Lewis22

jeff127

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm just curious about this. So would the iPod act as a memory card?

Yep basicly. I used it whilst in France this summer when the biggest SD card I had was 64MB :eek: (with a Casio EXZ57) and when I got back I just plugged the iPod in, and transferred all the pictures and videos from my holiday. :)

jeff127

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
Hmm, that's interesting. I might invest in this idea. Would it work with a Canon Rebel XT?

Doing a simple Google search shows that people have it working with their Rebel XTs.

It isn't on the official compatability page but many many more cameras (mine included) work with the connector even though they arn't on this list so I wouldn't worry.

Jeff.

MT37

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Doing a simple Google search shows that people have it working with their Rebel XTs.

It isn't on the official compatability page but many many more cameras (mine included) work with the connector even though they arn't on this list so I wouldn't worry.

Jeff.

Sorry, I didn't have time to search. I was just leaving work. Thanks though. I do believe I'm going to buy an iPod, and get the connector.

Lewis22

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
southwest MI
From what I have read, it seems like it acts more as a transfer device to the iPod(external hard drive)
so you could fill your memory card up, and then transfer the images to your iPod, then it will ask to clear your memory card, and then you can take more pictures.
So, it doesnt save directly to the iPod while you shoot.

This site was very helpful (link)

Lewis22

(anyone tried it on the Pentax K100D?)

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Are you shooting in RAW/NEF?

Sorry for the delay, but I was away for turkey day. On the honeymoon, I will be shooting in jpeg (fine). So, I will get roughly 270 images on my 2GB SD card (Which may or may not be enough for the day).

I know that the connector works for cameras not on the the compatibility list, but I was hoping to find someone who actually used it successfully with the D80.

Hickman

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
Sorry for the delay, but I was away for turkey day. On the honeymoon, I will be shooting in jpeg (fine). So, I will get roughly 270 images on my 2GB SD card (Which may or may not be enough for the day).

I know that the connector works for cameras not on the the compatibility list, but I was hoping to find someone who actually used it successfully with the D80.

Hickman

i suggest shooting RAW. you will only have one honeymoon.

raws cant be viewed on the ipod so you could shoot raw+jpeg.

its up to you. and the weather and conditions also that is.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
I decided to just go buy it and try it myself. So, I wanted to let everyone who is interested know that it DOES work just fine.

Hickman

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
FYI, the D70 has USB 1.1 output straight from the body. With a 1Gb card, I couldn't transfer all of the images onto my iPod before the iPod battery died. I'm assuming these newer bodies that have USB 2.0 output transfer at 2.0 speeds? (It isn't restricted by the iPod, just the camera body)

SinghalK

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006
I decided to just go buy it and try it myself. So, I wanted to let everyone who is interested know that it DOES work just fine.

Hickman

Hi Brian

Your information encouraged me to connect my Nikon D80 with my iPod. I am having 40 GB iPod photo. I bought a camera connector to connect the two. However, the photos were not transferred. Is there a particular setting required on the camera and/or iPod.

With Regards

Kishore Singhal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.