Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
I was looking at buying a DSLR cause i cant stand the pictures my P&S takes anymore. I am also going away on a very expensive trip to Kenya this winter and want to take an inmense amount of photos that are very very good quality. Enough for me to get large prints of them and frame them on the wall or something. My question is, is the price difference between the D80 and D50 worth it? My only concern is that if i get the D50, i might want to upgrade down the line and in the end costing me more money. I want to just buy one camera and get it over with.
I also looked at the XTi and I did not like the feel of it, dont like the controls either really. I got kinda hooked on the D80 with its feel, controls, and layout. Im just trying to justify spending the extra money on this camera. Any thoughts?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
you'll have to upgrade from either camera you get

and i'm getting the d80, i think it's worth it for me.. the control of it, the bright viewfinder, and etc

and also if you are going on a trip in this winter, i STRONGLY suggest you start looking at lenses, as some very good inexpensive (wink at nikon 18-200) has quite a wait, i got lucky ordered one from Camera Whoesalers monday, and shipped the same day...

but yeah, and then there's the thing about lenses are more important than body...

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
What's your opinion on the kit lens that comes with the D80? The 18-135 that is? I would prefer not to have to spend 900 dollars on a camera and on a lense if the lense that comes with a 1200 package will do me just fine.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
What's your opinion on the kit lens that comes with the D80? The 18-135 that is? I would prefer not to have to spend 900 dollars on a camera and on a lense if the lense that comes with a 1200 package will do me just fine.

i'm not gonna tell you the 18-135lens is crap, but it certainly wont compare to the 18-200...

a few things,
18-200 has longer range with the same apertuer as 18-135
18-200 has VR, so unless you plan to use tripod all the time, that's gonna be handy
and i've heard 18-200 is overall better built, however not a lot review on 18-135 doesn't mean it's bad

depend on what do you want i guess, if you just want to replace your P&S, 18-135 probably will do just fine
18-135 kit is 1300, not 1200
18-200 is 750, so the difference is about 450 (or less if you buy 18-200 from Camera Whoesaler, which doesn't charge tax..)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My question is, is the price difference between the D80 and D50 worth it?

Compare not the price different between D50 and D80. Compare the price of two kits of Nikon equipment. You will likely spend more money of lenses then on camera body. People going to Kenya typically want to photograph wildlife. Wildlife photography mostly requies some expensive lenses. So over all you may only be looking at a 20 or 15 percent difference in total price.

If cost is an issue what you really gain with the D80 is the abillty to make slightly larger prints. 13 inches vs. 10 inches wide. Also I think the D80 handles slightly beter with the extra control wheel. But if it comes down to $$ the D50 will do fine.. If buying a D50 means that you can then afford a better lens then you will do better work with the D50. As the lens matters much more then the body.

Also, no matter what you buy you WILL upgrade later. The D80 will mean that you can push that future upgrade back maybe a year.

One bit of advice. Don't take new gear on a big trip. Go to a local zoo and shoot 2,000 frames or so of animal photos. It takes about that many frames to really understand your system and the digital workflow. Without putting in the hours and days of work at home don't expect much quality photos on your trip.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
One bit of advice. Don't take new gear on a big trip. Go to a local zoo and shoot 2,000 frames or so of animal photos. It takes about that many frames to really understand your system and the digital workflow. Without putting in the hours and days of work at home don't expect much quality photos on your trip.

Exactly, thats why I would like to get it as soon as possible so I can take as many photos here on on my thangsgiving trip to the mountains. Thanks for all your advice. I would like to know one more thing. Whats the average life out of a DSLR like the D80 or D50... I know the lense will last a lot longer, but when would I expect to buy a new one just cause it breaks, thats probably the deciding factor for when i would need to get a new camera.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Exactly, thats why I would like to get it as soon as possible so I can take as many photos here on on my thangsgiving trip to the mountains. Thanks for all your advice. I would like to know one more thing. Whats the average life out of a DSLR like the D80 or D50... I know the lense will last a lot longer, but when would I expect to buy a new one just cause it breaks, thats probably the deciding factor for when i would need to get a new camera.

without accident happens.. it'll probably last a long time.. my point is, you probably will buy a new one not because this one broke, but because the new one is much better and not that expensive.. and the time frame? i dont know

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

Pick a Lens FIRST or a set of lenses. Then after yuo've settled on a kit of lenses decide on which camera body you want. Lenses are what really matters. If you want advice on Lens selection then please tell us what kind of photos you envision and when and where and under what kind of lighting condidtions you will take them. It's easy to describe the phots you want. Examples might be "bird in flight to 50 meters distant in evening light" "socer game from sidelines, two player in frame, full body shots" "head and shoulder studio portraits". "close up of insect on flower", ..... The more specific your descriptions the better advice you will get. That 18-135mm lens could do some of these example but would fail completly on others.

The difference between one Nikon body and the other is really only minor. The specs vary only withing a small range. For example pixel density differences at the 20% level or slight difference in the way the AF system works and so on. But just compare a Nikon 12-24mm lens to a 70-200mm and you can see in an instant they are vastly different like a grapefruit and a chicken There is SO much more possibility for variation among lenses than bodies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
without accident happens.. it'll probably last a long time.. my point is, you probably will buy a new one not because this one broke, but because the new one is much better and not that expensive.. and the time frame? i dont know

I agree. In the "old days" of film. You could think of keeping a camera body for decades because the 10 year old one worked as well as the new one. I stil have a Nikon F2 that was built in the 1970's. It is very un-common to hear of people still using five year old DSLRs. You can assume you are different than everyone else but that assumption almost never works. For planning purposes assume in 5 years there will be a Nikon body selling for $500 that blows away your D80. In three years they will have a $500 camera that blows away the D50. DSLRs are like computers.

But the lenses you buy today will be usable for decades. Glass and optics is a mature technology that is not changing very fast. You wil build up a kit of lenses over time and go through DSLR bodies like you do computers.

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
The kind of pictures that i will be looking to take are vast. I will be looking at taking pictures of wildlife (safari) probably during all hours of the day. I know dusk shots will be difficult. I would also be wanting to take pictures of terrain, mountains, valleys, and anything interesting that will come into view. I am going on a 5 day hike up mount kenya, up to around 5000m. So i would also probably want to get an extra battery. Other than nature shots, i would probably take photos of people and other such things, for example, a pig roasting over a fire, or local's doing these sort of activities. I will be there for 3 weeks, so im sure there are going to be numerous chances for me to take photos.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't know for you long you'll want to use good lenses bought today, when the pixel density is constantly increasing. But I don't know how much better glass can be made.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.

I have the 18-135mm lens and have been quite happy with it.

These photos were taken with the lens:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just check resellerratings.com like everyone else who wants to know if a store is legit. ;)

And if you're really stoked about hiking up a mountain with a DSLR, then you'll need a backpack to carry it in. If you plan on climbing the mountain where the incline is steep but not completely vertical like a stone wall, then the backpack will get in the way because backpacks that hold DSLRs extend quite a bit behind you because of the thickness of the padding inside. Oh what to do. ;)

I hope you realize that you need to spend a lot of money on lenses for what you plan on doing. I imagine that it'll be sunny in Kenya, so a lens like the 18-135 mm will do very well for you, although sometimes it won't give you the reach you want. The 18-200 mm is good as it has VR, but VR is most necessary at focal lengths beyond 150 mm and not before that IMO, so the 18-135 mm will still give you great results, especially in sunlight, even without the presence of VR at 100-135 mm, etc.

Getting the 18-135 will save you money and perform well, but can't zoom in far enough.

Next, used this saved money to buy yourself a Nikon 12-24 mm f/4 (priciest option), Tokina 12-24 mm f/4 (heaper alternative that's arguably just as good), Sigma 10-20 mm DC lens (most reviews are very good), or a Sigma 12-24 f4-5.6 DG lens (can fit a full-frame DSLR if Nikon decides to go that route), because you're going to need a wide-angle. ;)

If you really want to know what I think you should get so that you spend as little $$$ as possible while still allowing you to get photos of the animals you want:

Cheapest Option:
- Nikon D50
- The el-cheapo Nikon 70-300 mm (yes, I know it's slow and you can't isolate the subject, but it's sunny there, and this lens would allow him to take the photo of the animals he might see)
- Tokina 12-24 mm f/4
- Nikon 50 mm f/1.8
- A Monopod to go with the 70-300 mm
- A Lowepro Computrekker backpack so that you can carry your camera, lenses, monopod, AND still have a compartment for water, sunscreen, and a hat. :)

Still cheap, but better option:
- Nikon D80
- Nikon 80-200 mm f/2.8 (new or used)
- Tokina 12-24 mm f/4
- Nikon 50 mm f/1.8
- A monopod to go with the 80-200 f/2.8
- A Lowepro Computrekker backpack so that you can carry your camera, lenses, monopod, AND still have a compartment for water, sunscreen, and a hat. :)

Mind you that you shouldn't buy too many heavy lenses, because it would be a pain to hike or climb with.

I went hiking and climbed a mountain in Tasmania like 4 days ago. These photos would have been impossible without the Tokina 12-24 mm lens on my D50.

Attachments

• Near base of mountain.jpg
    Near base of mountain.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Top of mountain.jpg
    Top of mountain.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Top of Mountain 2.jpg
    Top of Mountain 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 92

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
According to some reports, the D80 exhibits a lot more amp glow than the D50, so you would need to do dark frame subtraction more often (which it seems it's not sure will work).

edge540

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Indiana
It appears that this glow only appears on really really long exposures, over 2 minutes or so long. I doubt i would ever take photos with that long an exposure.
Ive been thinking about it, and I would like to get some opinions on the following set up.

D80
Nikkon 18-200 VR
Tokina 12-24

Would that suffice for my needs. For now atleast?

According to some reports, the D80 exhibits a lot more amp glow than the D50, so you would need to do dark frame subtraction more often (which it seems it's not sure will work).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i'm glad you chose 18-200.. but if you decided to go that, you better start calling people soon and get on the wait list, it's quite long

what's amp glow?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
It appears that this glow only appears on really really long exposures, over 2 minutes or so long. I doubt i would ever take photos with that long an exposure.
Ive been thinking about it, and I would like to get some opinions on the following set up.

D80
Nikkon 18-200 VR
Tokina 12-24

Would that suffice for my needs. For now atleast?

Or you could get the 18-135, a 12-24 and the 70-300VR tele from Nikon. Especially for animal photography that tele would come in handy. This setup would cost a bit more though.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Amplifier glow is a kind of noise produced by proximity of circuits to the active area of the sensor. It shows up in long exposures.

Example

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Amplifier glow is a kind of noise produced by proximity of circuits to the active area of the sensor. It shows up in long exposures.

Example

is it a problem with all d80s or individual cases?

how much does it affect night shots... say if i shoot a busy street intersection for, oh i dont know, 5 minutes, with buildings around and cars zooming by (i mean, that much light..).. is it still gonna be very obvious on the corner?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Somebody said at dpreview that he has exchanged the D80 3 times, and all have the amp glow issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.