Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I'm thinking of upgrading to the D80 from the D60. The D90 is a bit too expensive for me and I don't really see a lot of difference that would matter to me. Don't care about liveview or ability to take video - the two biggest diffs I see. Am I missing something here, though?

More specifically, I was wondering if the D80 had the ability to do bracketing for HDR purposes - also was wondering if it had the image sensor cleaner like the D60 does.

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
I'm thinking of upgrading to the D80 from the D60. The D90 is a bit too expensive for me and I don't really see a lot of difference that would matter to me. Don't care about liveview or ability to take video - the two biggest diffs I see. Am I missing something here, though?

More specifically, I was wondering if the D80 had the ability to do bracketing for HDR purposes - also was wondering if it had the image sensor cleaner like the D60 does.

The D80 is a good deal now... personally, I went for it over the D90 too.
I miss liveview sometimes at weird angles where I can't easily see through the viewfinder, but that's all I miss.

The D80 will do all kinds of bracketing, but it doesn't have a sensor cleaner.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I am the owner of a D80, I have it for a year-and-a-half now. It's a great camera, it has a superior viewfinder (compared to the D60), a built-in focus motor and is very quick to respond. I don't use bracketing at all, but it's there alright. If you don't change lenses often, a sensor cleaner is not as likely to be needed (although I'm very glad Nikon adds that feature to its whole line-up).

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
thanks for the comments so far

i've made a list of the things that matter most to me and a price difference. let me know if anyone thinks i've left something out.

above the D80, the D90 has these functions

live view
720p movies
GPS
12.3 MP as opposed to 10.2 MP
3" Display as opposed to 2.5"
4.5 FPS Shooting as opposed to 3 FPS
Image sensor cleaner
Newer user interface

all that for 340 dollars more. Question I ask myself...is it worth it?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The D90 doesn't have GPS on board it just has a separate connection to connect an external GPS unit.

The D90 also has (to me) a slightly more ergonomic button layout as the OK button is moved to the center of the directional pad so the pad is much easier to use, The OK button is replaced by an Info button on the D90 that shows you all the details on the LCD plus more on the rear LCD when pressed.

The D90 also has a better sensor (yes it is CMOS over the CCD in the D80 but that in itself is not what makes it better) and hence has better low light performance.

I have both cameras right here with me (I have the D90 and my gf the D80) so if you have any questions then ask away!

thouts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
The D90 doesn't have GPS on board it just has a separate connection to connect an external GPS unit.

The D90 also has (to me) a slightly more ergonomic button layout as the OK button is moved to the center of the directional pad so the pad is much easier to use, The OK button is replaced by an Info button on the D90 that shows you all the details on the LCD plus more on the rear LCD when pressed.

The D90 also has a better sensor (yes it is CMOS over the CCD in the D80 but that in itself is not what makes it better) and hence has better low light performance.

I have both cameras right here with me (I have the D90 and my gf the D80) so if you have any questions then ask away!

GPS isn't all that important to me so no big deal. Though, I am curious about what you mean by ability to connect to an external GPS..what is this about?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
GPS isn't all that important to me so no big deal. Though, I am curious about what you mean by ability to connect to an external GPS..what is this about?

For an extra ~$200 you can purchase a Nikon GP-1 unit, that slots into the flash hotshoe and that connects via short cable to a connector on the side of the D90, it will then geotag any photos taken.

To me it would be better to do it the old way and use a separate GPS device and then geo tag after importing the photos from the camera.

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
The LCD on the D90 is much nicer than the the D80's... not only is it larger, but it has about 3 times as many pixels giving you sharper and more accurate previews.

I'm very happy with my D80, but If it were me right now I would probably lean towards the D90- the cost difference is not that big (unless you're considering a used D80)

Either one will be a great camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.