Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So tomorrow I'm going to the yankee game and I was thinking of bringing my D90 and 70-300 lens. Has anyone had any issues going through security with DSLRs and zoom lens for sporting events?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Right from the stadium's website:
CAMERAS AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT
Single-frame flash photography is permitted. Tripods, extended length zoom lenses, other professional camera equipment, movie cameras and any other video or audio recording equipment are not permitted in Yankee Stadium. Guests are not permitted to transmit or aid in transmitting any account, description, picture, video, audio, reproduction or other information about any games.

RainMeister

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
It sounds like a potential for a subjective call by gate security. I have heard that the new Yankee Stadium security can be difficult. There was that incident last year where fans were not allowed to leave their seats during the 7th inning singing of America the Beautiful. I personally would not chance taking any DSLR to Yankee Stadium. What would you do with your gear if they said No?

As an aside, I was at Angel Stadium several weeks ago when the Yanks were in town. I brought a 5D with a 24-105L, and a 40D with a 100-400L, and a 580EX pro flash, and they let me in. I got some incredible shots. :)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
If they give you a problem just tell them you read their policy and took your "shorter lens" to the game, and left this one at home thinking you met their policy
eos1200bb.jpg

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
It sounds like a potential for a subjective call by gate security. I have heard that the new Yankee Stadium security can be difficult. There was that incident last year where fans were not allowed to leave their seats during the 7th inning singing of America the Beautiful. I personally would not chance taking any DSLR to Yankee Stadium. What would you do with your gear if they said No?

As an aside, I was at Angel Stadium several weeks ago when the Yanks were in town. I brought a 5D with a 24-105L, and a 40D with a 100-400L, and a 580EX pro flash, and they let me in. I got some incredible shots. :)

I think its not worth the hassle of bringing it and worrying about it... If I knew for sure it wouldn't be a problem would but I don't want to be stuck in the bronx with it :p

Mind sharing a few pics? I'd liked to seem them :eek:

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Twins Field

I recently went to a game at the new Twins Field in Minneapolis and had no issues at all. I brought my 50D, 70-200 f/4, a few smaller lenses, my flash, AND tripod attached to my backpack. No issues.

I say go for it. There are some awesome pictures to be had inside a baseball field (although the baseball distracted me from taking enough pictures, stupid sports :p)

http://www.mattsepeta.com/minnesota-twins-v-baltimore-orioles-at-the-new-target-field

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If you take pro gear, especially a longer lens you seem to be at the mercy of whomever is working the gate. When I went recently I decided to leave my 70-200 at the hotel and brought my 24-105. They let me in without any problems. Just leave the long lens at home and your probably fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.