Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I am going to USA in January and I would like to buy the kit from Amazon (Nikon D90 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens)

Is D90 still the best purchase here?
Here is where I stand with the camera.

I am a beginner and this will be my first DSLR ever. I enjoy taking pictures and I love using my gf's D40 but I would like to learn more and more and would like to get a camera that not only will last but also will be sufficient enough when I get to know more.
I was thinking of getting body only but from threads here I realised that for start I should use the basic kit and then buy a lens when I am proficient enough to take advantage of it.
Good idea, right? Or do you think there is better camera on the horizon that will serve me better? I searched and searched and came to conclusion that I am a Nikon person so please stay in Nikon range if you think I can do better.

Another question that is also important. When I buy it through Amazon.com will I have international warranty? Ie, will my warranty be valid in UK? OR do I need to buy a separate purchase and if so, where? ( I couldn't see it on amazon.com)

Any other tips for me here? I know about the import duty thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or help

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
The D90 is a great camera. I would def recommend it even as a first DSLR. It should last you quite a while and has enough features that you shouldnt out grow it. As far as the international warranty goes. From my understanding if you buy a USA model then the warranty will only be vaid in the USA.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
thank you

I was afraid of that as I couldn't find it on amazon.com but when we were in the states last time, my gf got the D40 in B&H Photo shop and she paid extra money to get 2 years of international warranty so I was hoping that amazon.com would do the same but it looks like not.
Its a shame as B&H has it more expensive $200 more.
Well, lets hope I can find a solution.
D90 is coming very soon I see :)))

Anyone else has some tips or advice before I buy? I will highly appreciate it

Thank you

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Ok, I have another question please.

As the warranty is only 1 year then would you recommend buying it in USA anyway? I'll be there for 2 weeks so if there is an immediate issue then I can replace it.
Is D90 or Nikon in general on very low fault ratio or is it quite common to get a fault like its often with a computer?
And are repair expensive (like with laptops where the price is sometimes almost higher than a new one) or is it reasonably priced?

I'm still debating whether or not to get it in USA without the warranty as it looks like there is no international. It will save me £200 which is a lot and it allows me to buy it :)

What do you think guys? Would you pull the trigger or not?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone I know with a DSLR has never needed a warranty repair. I wouldn't bother with an international warranty. Most of those won't work for you when you need them anyway (read the small print, you may have to ship the camera to somewhere far far away and brokerage will kill any savings).

As others have said, you have a few weeks in the US to make sure it is working out of the box, after that, normally warranty repairs aren't required (in my experience, others may have a different experience). I would just buy the camera in the US and if something breaks, use the money you saved on the warranty to get it fixed.

Have fun.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you! That sounds like a good way to go :)

Wish me luck :))

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi,

I am going to USA in January and I would like to buy the kit from Amazon (Nikon D90 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens)

I'm not sure how Amazon is about shipping to non-permanent addresses with a non-US payee, is there a specific reason you want to use them? That's something you should investigate now if it's a fast limit for you.

Is D90 still the best purchase here?

Not sure what you mean by this?

Here is where I stand with the camera.

I am a beginner and this will be my first DSLR ever. I enjoy taking pictures and I love using my gf's D40 but I would like to learn more and more and would like to get a camera that not only will last but also will be sufficient enough when I get to know more.
I was thinking of getting body only but from threads here I realised that for start I should use the basic kit and then buy a lens when I am proficient enough to take advantage of it.

Camera bodies are generally good for 3-5 years, after which point you'll be wanting a new one. I'm not sure what you want to shoot, but if the D40 works ok for you then I'd suggest thinking very hard about getting a D40 and using the extra money for good lenses, which generally last more than 3 bodies so are a much better long-term investment. The D90 has many advantages over the D40, like better AF, more AF points and compatibility with older lenses- so it's worth it, but if you're budget-limited a better lens for the things you want to focus on shooting may be a better investment.

Good idea, right? Or do you think there is better camera on the horizon that will serve me better? I searched and searched and came to conclusion that I am a Nikon person so please stay in Nikon range if you think I can do better.

There's always a better camera on the horizon, if you worry about that you'll never buy one and won't be able to take pictures!

Another question that is also important. When I buy it through Amazon.com will I have international warranty? Ie, will my warranty be valid in UK? OR do I need to buy a separate purchase and if so, where? ( I couldn't see it on amazon.com)

In general, Nikon's warranty system works like this: If you purchase it in a country in person, then take it to another country the warranty goes with you. If you purchase it from your country, the warranty goes with it. If you purchase from another country by mail into your country then the warranty stays in the country you bought it from. This means that "Gray market" purchases do NOT get warrantied by whichever country you live in's local Nikon service. The only exception (I think) is Nikon Japan who have been known to repair pretty-much anything.

Depending on which states you are visiting, if you purchase from a retail store you'll be charged state sales tax- but some states don't have one, and the tax rates are different in different states. If you purchase online from a retailer who has a physical presence in a state you're having the purchase shipped to, you'll also be charged sales tax for that state- My guess is that if you were in Washington State, Amazon would have to charge you sales tax, but if you were in Oregon then there's no sales tax in that state.

Paul

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Just as an FYI, there is a camera store in Europe that sells european warranty equipment at much lower price than any other european store I know of.

http://www.cameranu.nl

I have used them in the past and they have excellent customer service, speak english and ship to anywhere in Europe.. oh and did i mention no grey imports.

I generally don't buy electronics (camera etc.) in the US and take them with me unless there is an international warranty attached, like Macbook Pros have it. Lenses is a different story however :)

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I'm not sure how Amazon is about shipping to non-permanent addresses with a non-US payee, is there a specific reason you want to use them? That's something you should investigate now if it's a fast limit for you.

Not sure what you mean by this?

Camera bodies are generally good for 3-5 years, after which point you'll be wanting a new one. I'm not sure what you want to shoot, but if the D40 works ok for you then I'd suggest thinking very hard about getting a D40 and using the extra money for good lenses, which generally last more than 3 bodies so are a much better long-term investment. The D90 has many advantages over the D40, like better AF, more AF points and compatibility with older lenses- so it's worth it, but if you're budget-limited a better lens for the things you want to focus on shooting may be a better investment.

There's always a better camera on the horizon, if you worry about that you'll never buy one and won't be able to take pictures!

In general, Nikon's warranty system works like this: If you purchase it in a country in person, then take it to another country the warranty goes with you. If you purchase it from your country, the warranty goes with it. If you purchase from another country by mail into your country then the warranty stays in the country you bought it from. This means that "Gray market" purchases do NOT get warrantied by whichever country you live in's local Nikon service. The only exception (I think) is Nikon Japan who have been known to repair pretty-much anything.

Depending on which states you are visiting, if you purchase from a retail store you'll be charged state sales tax- but some states don't have one, and the tax rates are different in different states. If you purchase online from a retailer who has a physical presence in a state you're having the purchase shipped to, you'll also be charged sales tax for that state- My guess is that if you were in Washington State, Amazon would have to charge you sales tax, but if you were in Oregon then there's no sales tax in that state.

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback
Here are some answers to your questions.

I'm going to San Francisco. I'll be staying at my friends house and I will purchase through the friend as I think my CC is not accepted for the reasons you've mentioned.
I used to research quite a lot few months back and people like the D90 as a very good purchase. I was only asking if it is still like that or if there is something better from Nikon I overlooked (as I haven't been here for a while)
I want to buy it from Amazon because its the cheapest shop I've found so far. I also know its reliable so unless you know better option then I think I should stick with Amazon, right?
Is my understanding of the warranty correct that if I buy through Amazon and I get it delivered to my friends house who also pays for it then I will have a warranty when I go back to UK? Or do I have to buy it in person in a retail store to get the warranty?

Thanks

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Just as an FYI, there is a camera store in Europe that sells european warranty equipment at much lower price than any other european store I know of.

http://www.cameranu.nl

I have used them in the past and they have excellent customer service, speak english and ship to anywhere in Europe.. oh and did i mention no grey imports.

I generally don't buy electronics (camera etc.) in the US and take them with me unless there is an international warranty attached, like Macbook Pros have it. Lenses is a different story however :)

thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the exchange rate between £ and EUR is so bad that this is the most expensive option :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback
Here are some answers to your questions.

I'm going to San Francisco. I'll be staying at my friends house and I will purchase through the friend as I think my CC is not accepted for the reasons you've mentioned.
I used to research quite a lot few months back and people like the D90 as a very good purchase. I was only asking if it is still like that or if there is something better from Nikon I overlooked (as I haven't been here for a while)

The D90 is still a fine camera choice...

I want to buy it from Amazon because its the cheapest shop I've found so far. I also know its reliable so unless you know better option then I think I should stick with Amazon, right?

If you're buying from Amazon themselves it's not a bad choice...

Is my understanding of the warranty correct that if I buy through Amazon and I get it delivered to my friends house who also pays for it then I will have a warranty when I go back to UK? Or do I have to buy it in person in a retail store to get the warranty?

Thanks

Well, technically your friend will have the warranty. I'm not sure how a potential straw-man purchase works for warranty purposes- it's likely that if you register the camera's warranty things will be ok- but that's not something I'd expect to find out about online- I would probably phone Nikon UK and ask them, since ultimately they'll be the ones who have to honour the warranty. Though perhaps if you register and the friend puts your name on the purchase with their address it'd all line up- I'm not sure how Amazon does receipts or how strict Nikon UK is about getting a receipt for an out-of-market serial numbered camera. Worst-case you' have to send the camera to your friend to send in for a repair, but that could be a pain. (Nikon's per-country warranty issues are one of the most frustrating things about the company.)

Paul

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you Paul. I guess you will hear from me in february with the result and probably some questions too. :))
Anyway, have a great xmas and thank you all for feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.