Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
On the LCD display, the number of shots remaining for the card stays on after the camera is off. It's slowly draining my battery when I'm not using the camera. Is there anyway I can turn that off?

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I have a D90 as well, and as far as I know the only way to make the shots remaining on the top screen disappear is to take the battery out.

The battery is slowly draining because it provides power to the LCD on the viewfinder screen as well. Take the battery out and you'll see what I mean (the viewfinder will become much darker).

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
just so you know, just because it doesn't show up doesn't mean the battery still isn't in use. Canon cameras don't show anything on the LCD screens, but there's still current going through the camera. turning the camera off with the switch is just putting it on standby and making it more difficult to turn back on.

Jupi

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
Canada
LCD screen power consumption level is so low that it's going to take years for the full charge of the D90 battery to be depleted because of LCD screen showing the number of shots remaining. Compare your D90 battery to a watch battery and you'll see what I mean. I agree with toxic, by flicking the power switch of your Nikon you're putting it into a standby mode where the current from the battery is still flowing through internal circuits of the camera. That allows for a very quick power-on and that's what drains the battery most.
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.