Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,
I was just wondering if its normal for the camera to have really dark and grainy viewfinder when the battery is not inside the camera? I checked my gf's D40 and that does not have the same thing so is it some kind of protection or is it yet another issue and the camera needs replacement?

Thank for any feedback :)

Gloor

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Hi,
I was just wondering if its normal for the camera to have really dark and grainy viewfinder when the battery is not inside the camera? I checked my gf's D40 and that does not have the same thing so is it some kind of protection or is it yet another issue and the camera needs replacement?
Gloor
Yes, it's normal for viewfinders that use LCD overlays for focus points, grids, etc.

Charge the battery! (I'm surprised there wasn't at least a little charge in the battery our of the box.)

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Yes, it's normal for viewfinders that use LCD overlays for focus points, grids, etc.

Charge the battery! (I'm surprised there wasn't at least a little charge in the battery our of the box.)

Ok, thank you very much. Battery is charging but I was messing around and noticed that strange thing and got immediately worried as I thought I would have another issue (had to exchange previous one for some strange purple tint)

Ok, all seems to be good now. Lets hope it will stay like that so I can have some fun with my new baby :)))

Hope to learn M mode soon :))))

Thanks

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hi,

Thank for any feedback :)

Gloor

:confused:

The battery has nothing to do with the viewfinder of an SLR....

and you have a D90 - have you been using SLR's? The only first-timers I know that buy these are rich Soccer Dads and just use "auto".

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
and you have a D90 - have you been using SLR's? The only first-timers I know that buy these are rich Soccer Dads and just use "auto".
Haha, wait till you see the amount of teenagers these days who owns DSLR just for the sake of being in the "in" crowd :(

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I had the very same thought running through my head when I took my D80 out of the box because it had that same gray, grainy look.

On another note, my D80 was/is my first DSLR, which I bought when I was 17. I didn't buy it to be part of the "in" crowd but rather because I was ready to move out of my film Canon SLR. Not everyone who buys a nice DSLR as their first one is a rich soccer mom/dad who has no intention of using it properly.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
What a snark-tastic post!

The battery has nothing to do with the viewfinder of an SLR....
gkarris, if you were up to speed on current dSLRs you would know that's not true. More advanced models have started using LCD overlays instead of swapping out focusing screens to get different focus points, grids, etc. Do yourself a favor, don't play an "intarwebz expert" on TV.

Rich soccer dads either buy the D3000/D5000 or the really rich ones buy the D700 models. Regardless, nobody understood this stuff from the womb, the smart ones make the effort to learn the underlying principles instead of looking down their noses at people who are in the same place they used to be (but won't admit it).

To the OP, the D90 is a GREAT entry level dSLR from a value (features vs. price) perspective. Enjoy it! Get one of the D90 field guide books and a copy of "Understanding Exposure" to re-read every other month until it clicks (i.e. you understand the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed and when to choose what).

FWIW, I wish I'd had the foresight to buy into the Nikon system when I went digital. Unfortunately, by default I went with Canon who seem to be more interested in megapixels vs. image quality and low noise. Switching now will cost me a small fortune. IMO, you chose well. Ignore the arses on the Intarwebz and go shoot some pictures. :)

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you all for nice feedback.

And to gkarris : I bought D90 because I wanted to extend my artistic skill for staging, composition etc. As I love taking photos I thought I would extend the skill and learn it properly. That is why I chose to go for great entry level camera. I work as an animator, I learn about movie making and cinematography in general and I would also like to take drawing to another level. As all these things are connected in certain aspect to each other then I know that I will only benefit by learning more about those things. Like photography!

You can be rude all you want but my aim here is to be better artist at what I do and broaden my artistic skill too. That's why I appreciate all the clever people here who are trying to help rather than you who is here to knock beginners like me down.
And isn't it funny that you were wrong with the viewfinder?

Anyway, enough with this. Thank you all guys for help. I really appreciate it

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA

you have a D90 - have you been using SLR's? The only first-timers I know that buy these are rich Soccer Dads and just use "auto".
I have been a Nikon shooter for over 30 years. For 20 of those years I used a F3hp probably the finest camera ever made. I also have a few old Nikkor manual focus lens that are insanely sharp. I am a professional print maker by trade. For many years i printed works for many fine artist. I own a D50 & D90. Don't have kids or play soccer.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
God I hate digital photography snobs!

Hate me: I bought a DSLR cause I wanted to take pictures of my dog in conditions with less natural light without using a flash! Oooooh! I should be put to death!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.