Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Earlier i tried turning on my external hard drive that was attached to my QS. now the drive is connected to the mac with a firewire cable. i turned on my other drive that's daisy chained to the first hard drive but it wouldn't show up on the desktop. is there something about the firewire drives i need to be aware of in order for them to work simultaneously? i even reversed the cables to go from the mac to the second drive and then the first drive being daisy chained. no difference on having the other drive show up on the desktop.
for testing sake, i even tried a drive and my ads pyro box daisy chained and the mac didn't see the pyro.

maybe it's a mac issue, or even an os issue?

FYI os is 9.2.2 on a Quicksilver 2002 DP 1ghz

Earlier i tried turning on my external hard drive that was attached to my QS. now the drive is connected to the mac with a firewire cable. i turned on my other drive that's daisy chained to the first hard drive but it wouldn't show up on the desktop. is there something about the firewire drives i need to be aware of in order for them to work simultaneously? i even reversed the cables to go from the mac to the second drive and then the first drive being daisy chained. no difference on having the other drive show up on the desktop.
for testing sake, i even tried a drive and my ads pyro box daisy chained and the mac didn't see the pyro.

maybe it's a mac issue, or even an os issue?

FYI os is 9.2.2 on a Quicksilver 2002 DP 1ghz

So to be clear:

When you reversed the cables to go from the Mac to the second drive, full-stop, the second drive wouldn’t show up in either the Finder desktop or in Disk Utility, but when adding the first drive behind the second drive in the daisy chain, the first drive does appear on the Finder desktop/Disk Utility whilst the second does not?

Reactions: Amethyst1

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Are they bus powered?
I have had problems in the past daisy chaining FW hard drives because of power issues. The FW port on the Mac doesn’t have enough power for more than a single drive normally.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
B S Magnet : best way to show it is in a mini diagram..

Mac__D1__D2 (D2 doesn't show on desktop)
Mac__D2__D1 (D1 doesn't show on desktop)
Mac__D1 or D2__Pyro (Pyro doesn't show on desktop)

Project Alice : all firewire devices are wall powered. Each have their own power plug.

Reactions: Project Alice

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
ok, so i tried something different. i plugged both externals into the mac, each on their own cable going into the back and then i daisy chained the pyro into the first external. nothing on any recording program. i tried switching the dip switch settings on the back of the pyro to no avail.

then i tried my hollywood dv bridge using the same method and it's seen. so i'm wondering if the pyro unit needs it's own firewire port with nothing else sharing it.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Please show me such thing :D. Never seen this IRL.
They're expensive and not commonly seen because they're very niche devices, but they are out there:

And for FireWire 800:

Reactions: dextructor

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I tried this once before with limited success. I did read somewhere that you shouldn't really daisy chain disks in this manner. You should plug it into one machine, put a firewire cable between the two computers then share out the drive from the one machine to the other using File Sharing.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
FWIW, I had no issues daisy-chaining two hard drives and a DVD burner off my G4 mini's single Firewire port. All drives were wall-powered.

(Just running one of them in a stripeset with the mini's interval hard drive was not a good idea.)

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i have seen those hubs out there before, something like 120 firewire devices can be run off of a single firewire hub as usb can run 126 devices off of a usb hub.

how i have it set up right now it the hollywood dv bridge daisy chained into an external hdd which is then plugged into the mac. the second external hdd is just plugged into the other firewire port on the mac. so far everything is working as it should. i was able to copy over a vhs film to digital and have it copied to the external afterwards.
i just wish i could run the pyro because it has component input for recording. 20201113_203828.jpg 20201113_203810.jpg Picture 1.jpg

Last edited:

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
@reddrag0n
What is second external drive, under NexStar3? "Imation" & triangle force me to think about LS120 USB :). (My favourite floppy drives :D. Got 2 with IDE connection in pair of my old PCs.)
first gray one is an unknown firewire to ide external case, then its a nexstar usb/esata to ide (modded cut front to hold a 250 zip) under that is an imation LS120, then the far black is a noname firewire to ide

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
first gray one is an unknown firewire to ide external case, then its a nexstar usb/esata to ide (modded cut front to hold a 250 zip) under that is an imation LS120, then the far black is a noname firewire to ide
That's very cool. Are you using the LS120 and Zip drives for data retrieval/recovery purposes or...?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I have them because i can, i guess.... i have a few floppies that i use to swap files to my classic, and the zip drive because i have 30 zip disks that are on a shelf. Other than that, i have other odds and ends i have collected over the years. Still have my old imate for adb peripherals... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.