Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Many of us are now forced to move to USB-C and buy the dongles. But enough wining. Let's keep this thread technical.

Can we daisychain dongles? For example I have the Apples Ethernet-Thunderbolt, VGA-Thunderbolt, DVI-Thunderbolt adapters and I need such legacy connections on the road in future also. But not often, so buying all new separate dongles seems a waste.

Would it work for any of my adapters, if I purchased a Thunderbolt-USBC dongle and daisychained them:
MacbookUSBC--USBC2TB--TB2VGA--VGAcable---ProjectorVGA.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
You could also just buy one USB-C dongle that has DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc ports. Costs maybe about 30 units of money?

hakonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
You could also just buy one USB-C dongle that has DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc ports. Costs maybe about 30 units of money?
Thats true. It's not about the money. I'm now just trying to first gather the info of what requirements and options I have, since there are no solutions on the market that meets all requirements. Some connections I need always, some often, some rarely never. Some at office, some on the road, some at home. Some I will need for a long time, some will hopefully be forgotten in a couple of years and so on. I need to build an excel sheet for this mess to have it sorted out.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 --> thunderbolt to Gigabit-Ethernet Concatenation is working

Reactions: hakonik

hakonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
And following text is copy pasted from here: http://www.apple.com/shop/question/...thernet-vga-dvi/QAYTX2XHJ2HK4TCUJ?qt=ethernet

According to HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter":
Thunderbolt: yes
Ethernet: yes
Firewire: yes
DisplayPort: no
HDMI: no
VGA: no
DVI: no
USB: no

So basically I would just benefit the old ethernet cable, unless I would have need for FireWire or old Thunderbolt devices.
So USBC-TB2 is of no use in my case.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
btw. the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit-Ethernet Adapter bought at the Apple Store did not work !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.